2020 Teaser Tuesday - List Browser Direct Editing - Vectorworks 2020

JuanP

On 8/7/2019 at 5:23 AM, Gerhard Bauer said:

Haha, you dont really want that! Then everybody has to pay for a Designer Version and if you stop paying for it, your VW wont start again. Maxon axed all Service Agreements and kicked their Customers in the A**.

Although I'd love to have a conversation about pricing in a separate thread, in the spirit of keeping this on topic with the OP, I'm focusing on streamlined workflow here in this thread.

This teaser is one of the most underrated sleeper features yet:

• If you've ever said, "I just want the app to get out of my way", this is a big win
  • You don't need to buy a new machine with more cores, or an eGPU, to speed up your workflow
  • While new features like viewport image effects and generating 3D models from photos are nice-to-haves, this feature removes friction from every moment you're using the app whether modeling, plating, rendering, publishing... 
  • Perhaps greatest of all: it instantly feels like it belongs because this is the way it should have always been

As for single-sign-in, every time I sign into the Community Forum, Service Select, Cloud Services... it's like plugging in a USB-A cable in the dark. It's a game of Russian Roulette, and I lose more often than I win.

As for a single workspace, I implore VW to continue making UX/QC decisions like this teaser. I don't want 3 different tree tools, none of which get the job done by themselves. I want a single complete version (the best version). Likewise, I don't want 6 different workspace that slightly overlap with each other. I want a single complete workspace (the best version). Now that Maxon has consolidated modules, I can't think of a single 3D modeling software that fragments like this. This consolidation would reduce a massive amount of extra clicks, tweaking, fiddling, remembering which tool sets have which tools (and which don't).

Personally, the way I use VW modules is more like the linear flow in Adobe Lightroom (screenshot attached):

Landmark (modeling the site) > Architecture (modeling the venue) > Spotlight (modeling the show)

All of the exact same windows, palettes, tool sets, tools, menu items should be accessible at all times (especially as I revise the drawing), and they should all be the same size and in the same position on my screen(s).

Likewise, converting buried dialogs to open palettes is another choice to get the app out of our way, and reduce clicks. Staring at a blank OIP on a 4k display while I click through multiple tabs of a stair tool dialog is not what God intended for parametric modeling

Anyway, hats off to the VW team for this teaser! Please continue making refinements like this one! Fewer clicks, more continuity.

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 9.04.13 AM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 4

Yep, good teaser / feature.

14 hours ago, Gerhard Bauer said:

Haha, you dont really want that! Then everybody has to pay for a Designer Version and if you stop paying for it, your VW wont start again. Maxon axed all Service Agreements and kicked their Customers in the A**.

And since it has been mentioned, I would like know if there will be a coordinated approach from NV with Maxon on their licensing changes. I just contacted the distributor I purchase my Visualize MSA's from, and yep, Gerhard's right, the price is effectively double / year.    

*Edit (of course, you get the whole package, but that doesn't add any real value to what we used it for)

Edited by M5d

I really hope this is fully and properly implemented all the way through the UI, not just half baked like Tags - introduced last year. 

Hate to be so negative - but it’s the sort of thing we should have had years ago. 

So much for a UI overhaul. 

Edited by Andrew Davies
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

@JuanP does this mean that can we finally edit text in the Callout Tool inline instead of opening a dialog?

Any other areas of the interface that fall into the category of, “I see the data right there - why can’t I edit it?” 

I hope we can rename objects in the OI. The name field appeared at the bottom a few versions back but we still can't rename or search for objects by name like every other software lets you do. We're still clicking on dozens of "extrudes" and "generic solids." It seems like the capability is right there with that little field, now if we could simply rename in the object info heading and the use a search field to select-on-document that would be a small be so useful thing. Also great if the name stayed with an obj through state changes. i.e now, a named rectangle that is extruded looses its name. Naming a simple 2d shape and having that name stick with it regardless of the modifiers applied to it would be awesome. But to start, I'd just be happy with double clicking on "Polygon" or whatever at the top of the OI and renaming it. 

• Like 3
On 8/9/2019 at 1:05 PM, zoomer said:

If it is like this,

it will be at least some eye candy for me ....

Screenshot-107.thumb.jpg.334d238e2f496c8b61323aa04dac5477.jpg

Eye candy yes, but like a little waste of space too, especially in the program bar and the option toolbar on top.

EDIT:

I realised that the former two seperate toolbars are combined into one. Thats nice!

Edited by je_
  • Administrator
23 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

does this mean that can we finally edit text in the Callout Tool inline instead of opening a dialog?

20 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

speaking of editing data that’s “right there” how about the Title Block?

Even though both are not related to the list browser, I think we should look in it. I am submitting a wish to R&D. Thanks.

• Like 3
On 8/9/2019 at 12:05 PM, zoomer said:

If it is like this,

it will be at least some eye candy for me ....

Screenshot-107.thumb.jpg.334d238e2f496c8b61323aa04dac5477.jpg

Not just the toolbar but that sectional 3d model too: it shows something that is not possible right now which is a rendered sectional view that shows a solid section plane through walls etc - rather than hollow things made out of paper.

I suspect it's just marketing images though, based on previous form.

3 minutes ago, je_ said:

it hasn't to be a section, maybe the upper floors are just invisible.

yes i expect that's what it is, given that various elements extend beyond the tops of the walls.

In reality just removing the floors seldom results in something as tidy as that though... external walls will tend to run to a different level compared to internal ones, and so on.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:43 AM, JuanP said:

Even though both are not related to the list browser, I think we should look in it. I am submitting a wish to R&D. Thanks.

Hold on now!

Edit In Place has been the UI norm for less than 20 years. Let's not get ahead of the technology or client expectations. 🙃

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1
  • 1 month later...

Works pretty well so far. Its a little bit odd though when editing class names when hierarchical display is turned on. Its a bit weird to only be able to edit part of the name and a bit annoying that I can't then edit a hierarchical category name and have it update all the classes below it. It needs to be all in or all out. Right now its sort of half in.....

Kevin

• Like 2
  • JuanP unpinned this topic