Drawing information moving miles away...

lisagravy

Question

This has happened to a few of us all working on separate drawings now - our drawing information sometimes seems to transport itself way way off grid, with no particular pattern as to why? Can anyone shed any light on this? 

In terms of our workflow, all of our drawings are set up initially using design layer viewport referencing, to reference in information such as topographic survey, architects / engineers layouts etc, from separate Vectorworks files. All of these referenced layers are set to 'Centre first import, align all subsequent imports' when initially importing into their own files from DWG. Once all of these design layer viewports are referenced (and sense checked that they are in the correct place and suitably stacking on top of each other,) we are then choosing to centre drawing on internal origin, before we begin adding our own information. 

We then use the design layer referenced viewports as a base to work from to inform our own design, which we draw on a separate layer(s) but in the same position, often snapping etc to the referenced layers and turning things on and off. Sheet layers are created with annotations etc, using both our own layers and the referenced layers. The file can be used for days or weeks working correctly. But then, suddenly we will notice that a sheet layer is only showing annotations and any referenced layers, with none of our own drawing information. The design layer references all remain in their original position, but our drawn information is appearing anywhere up to 250,000km away, and requires to be moved back into place. 

Is there a reason for this / something we can fix in our workflow to avoid? Or is this a bug of some sort? 

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

It sounds suspiciously like someone is importing a DWG into the working file that is changing the origin.

I just did a rant at the users group meeting last weekend that in my opinion, any import function should always be done into a new blank VW file and then the data referenced or copied from there. I know there are exceptions where you want to reimport and updated version of a DWG into a "shuttle" file.

It sounds like you have the right workflow, but is someone taking a shortcut and not following the proscribed workflow?

I'd say maybe if it was one of us it could be someone taking a shortcut or accident, but that it's happening to three of us separately, when we're not really crossing over in terms of working on each others drawings, it's quite hard to believe? 

We also have a few strong opinions in the office about always importing into a blank file, and it's been part of our workflow for a long time with no problems - we've only really started to have this issue since upgrading to VW2019?

Another thing besides the aforementioned dwg import by Pat that can cause issues like this is the use of "Rotate plan" in combination with referenced files. Especially if there is plan rotation in a referenced file that gets changed later on after an update this could cause issues. With VW2019 seemingly having more bugs than the last few versions it wouldn't surprise me if you ran into one.

• Like 2
On 8/24/2019 at 1:55 PM, Art V said:

Another thing besides the aforementioned dwg import by Pat that can cause issues like this is the use of "Rotate plan" in combination with referenced files. Especially if there is plan rotation in a referenced file that gets changed later on after an update this could cause issues. With VW2019 seemingly having more bugs than the last few versions it wouldn't surprise me if you ran into one.

Exactly right! - so we had this problem again and issued the file to Vectorworks for review, and this is what they came back to say - that we'd saved one of the references while in a 'rotated plan' view, which had caused this issue. Glad to know we're not going insane!