Designing Sailboat Rudders in VW?

Hello:

I'm wondering if someone can point me to information on how to use VW11.5 to design rudders for sailboats. This question would actually also apply to designing airplane wings.

I have been trying to find information on how I would do this but have had no luck so I thought I would trying posting here to see if there is anyone that has done this or if there is already information out there on how it can be done.

Thanks!

-- Robin

Hi Mike:

Thanks for the information.

I have been able to successfully do this with a wing type shape where there is a more distinct shape on each end. But the rudders I want to design a almost elliptical in plan form so there is no way to extrude from one end to another.

I guess I'm going to have to delve into NURBS and lofting as that could well be the best approach,

Thanks!

--Robin

Robin

- two ellipse of different sizes and proportions can be multiple extruded.

- you could also try Tapered Extrude.

- you can also make up the shapes using individual lines and curves and then compose these into shapes which can then be multiple extruded.

Have a look at the DC10 model in the NNA 02_Sitewks_Vehicles library file. I am fairly sure this was modelled without nurbs.

Hi Mike:

I think I could do it this way if there was an easy way to create bezier curves which I have not been able to do very successfully in VW. I have used the bezier smoothing but the amount of control available is crude at best.

Now if I had something like the control you have in Illustrator for drawing bezier curves then I could very easily design the sections and then extrude from one section to another.

The only problem would be when I go to the tip, which in a side view would be elliptical.

- Robin

If you're patient enough to draw cut sections through the rudder every 1/2" or so moving from bottom to top a simple multiple extrude will give you a reasonable shape. The more sections the truer your shape -particularily the elliptical portion at the end.

Use front and side profiles on a 2D grid to assist.

- If necessary a quick way to get elliptical beziers to start off is to group a circle, resize it, ungroup.

- Rather than trying to maintain the correct drawing order it is sometimes easier to get it all done and then start at one end and send to back or front one at a time till you get to the other end.

If you have the terrain modeler a similar method would be to arrange your cut sections out of 3D polys, this time using 3D side and front profiles. Then use the DTM modeller to create the surface.