Plant Tag Bubble

lgoodkind

Question

6 answers to this question

Below is how to fix the plant quantities displaying to 2 decimal places:

1. Go to the Tools menu > Database > Record Format Connection.

2. Locate the Plant Record in the list, select it then click Edit.

3. Select the Quantity field then click Edit.

4. Change the Type to Integer and set the default value to zero.

5. Click OK 3 times.

6. Set opacity to 100% (I know, madness but this refreshes the display).

I'm resurrecting this topic to ask, in v2023 how can I edit the default Plant Tag bubble contents and layout?

In @lgoodkind's example above, for example, I would like to change the ID ("ole eur") to the plant's SKU.

I'd also like to change the font, since the tag does not pick up the Text Style of the tag's class.

(Yes, I am still using Plant Tags and not Data Tags.)

@Katarina Ollikainen perhaps you can advise?

Thank you!

—John

3 hours ago, verdancedesign said:

(Yes, I am still using Plant Tags and not Data Tags.)

You need to switch to Data Tags to do what you wish effectively.

Plus, I suspect Vectorworks is abandoning all these built in tags in favor of Data Tags based on how things have been progressing.

Better to switch now and get things working the way you want IMHO.

14 hours ago, verdancedesign said:

I would like to change the ID ("ole eur") to the plant's SKU.

In the Tag settings, select 'Set Custom Tag...' from the drop-down then in the 'Set Custom Tag' dialog select 'SKU' from the drop-down.

15 hours ago, verdancedesign said:

I'd also like to change the font, since the tag does not pick up the Text Style of the tag's class.

You should be able to assign a Text Style to the tag class + this be applied to the tag text.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, verdancedesign said:

Are you saying that tag bubbles don't utilize an editable resource?

Well, you could edit your Plant ID to reflect your SKU if you want a tidy work around 🙂

Probably not a good idea for contractors who actually use the SKU to place orders though...

Anyhow, you have limited ability to control the plant tag.  For instance, you can not configure the tag to replace the ID in the Bubble to the SKU.  You can turn off the Bubble and instead use Top, Center, or Bottom tagging to get close to what you want, sans rectangle.  Then, do as @Tom W. suggest and use "set custom tag" to configure the displayed data as you wish.

Plant Tag text styling is a bit more problematic compared to data tags.

You can only use one Text Style for the entire tag, so no use of Bold or Italics for instance on part of the Plant Tag (you can do that with a data tag)

You must use the Vectorworks default class for Plant Tags in order for Text Style updates to carry through automatically, so all plants will have the same text style regardless of phase, plant type (say tree vs ground cover), scale, etc.  If you instead us the class the object is placed on to govern the Text Style, the plants won't update if they are moved to a different class because of how Vectorworks treats the application of text style to objects vs objects during the creation process (using a plug-in or similar, to make the geometry and features).

A good practice is to create a Text Style for your Plant Tags and give it an easy name to remember (like Plant Tag Text for example).  That way you don't use it for other things and have those things change later if you decide to restyle your plant tags.  I've seen this happen so many times where people use the same style for general notes and then want to get cute with their plant tags and use a hand drawn style.  Chaos ensues.

Good luck with those built in Plant Tags.