Can this mesh be simplified?

I have received this model from a client and I am wanting to use it in a scene but the mesh is very complex and will not host a texture well.

Is there any way to simplify this / combine all those faces into one solid 3D model?

I believe it has been created in Sketchup so if anyone has any other ideas as to ways they can export it to help with this that would also be great as I have never used it.

Cheers

Capture.PNG

image.png

The menu bar under Modify > Simplify Mesh... will give you a dialog box with a slider that will let you reduce the complexity of the mesh... @Kevin Allen is right though, the best option would be to re-draw it natively in VW as a collection of extrude along path objects I think.

Would be nice if there was a way to 'fill' a mesh shell like this with a generic solid... kind of like how you can use the 'Inner Boundary Mode' (paint bucket) of the 2D Polygon Tool  to 'fill' a perimeter... Just sayin'...      ...perhaps there is and I'm just in the dark about it though! 🤞

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.14.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.18.06 AM.png

The point of importing a model is to save time. In this case, re-skinning or fixing it up takes longer than modeling it from scratch. A lot. A few extrude along paths and you have a model in say ten minutes for a skilled user. You get solids, it renders way better, and the model takes up less space.  SketchUp does not add anything here (it seldom does if you ask me).

Fence.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

The point of importing a model is to save time. In this case, re-skinning or fixing it up takes longer than modeling it from scratch. A lot. A few extrude along paths and you have a model in say ten minutes for a skilled user. You get solids, it renders way better, and the model takes up less space.  SketchUp does not add anything here (it seldom does if you ask me).

If anything, Sketch-Up seldom adds anything. A SU model gives me, generally, something to trace once I correct the scale.Additionally, I don't know if this an application issue, or a user issue, but I find SU models are generally inaccurate and imprecise. 

• Like 1