Running 2019 for my server

Stan

Question

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @Stan,

This is a strange way of running the program.

I suggest that you go to the application folder on your server and see if the Vectorworks 2019.app is within this folder as this is what I think is missing.  What I'm guessing you've done is installed it on the server then taken the Vectorworks 2019.app file out of the application folder onto your local computer to run it.

What you should have done is to leave the Vectorworks 2019.app file within the application folder and create an alias/shortcut onto your local computer to run the program.

I hope this makes sense.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I believe the ext4 file system is case-sensitive, so Vectorworks will not work there. Also, Vectorworks will not run on Linux. It will need to be installed on Mac or Windows operating systems and a case-insensitive file system.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Adam Robinson said:

Hi @Stan,

This is a strange way of running the program.

I suggest that you go to the application folder on your server and see if the Vectorworks 2019.app is within this folder as this is what I think is missing.  What I'm guessing you've done is installed it on the server then taken the Vectorworks 2019.app file out of the application folder onto your local computer to run it.

What you should have done is to leave the Vectorworks 2019.app file within the application folder and create an alias/shortcut onto your local computer to run the program.

I hope this makes sense.

Actually I did not do that.  I am attempting to do this to conserve space on my local drive.  The app is was in the application folder on the server and I tried to execute/open it from there.  I did not pull the the app icon on to my local desktop.  Currently I dod install in on my local drive  and it works from there as expected.  

But i would [refer to run it from my serve if that is possible.  

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

@jblock 

is there a reason why VW is not linux compatible ? 

It is not Linux by itself, it is the case-sensitive file system. You cannot start VW on Mac either, while using a case-sensitive HFS or APFS volume.

VW was simply not designed to be very (very) careful about how calling the files in the code. (For example, those are bugs you would not detect on Windows.)

Edited by Nicolas Goutte
  • Like 3