Vertical Truss - Front on symbols

Hi

First post here from a Vectorworks newcomer.

I'm currently drawing up a design in 2D and need to draw some vertical truss towers with 1m scaff bars, on which will hang some various fixtures.  I have drawn the truss and scaff in 2D but what I really need is some symbols that are 'front facing' rather than 'top down'.  I have discovered the Savvy Symbol Section tool which looks like it will do the trick, does anyone have any experience with it? I toyed with the idea of trying to create it in 3D but think that might be a tad advanced for me at this stage.

I have attached a picture from my Capture model so you can see what I am trying to re-create. The 3 bottom scaffs will have 2 Chauvet R1 washes on them, the top 2 Chauvet Q40's and vertically up each  cord of the truss will be 4x Miltec Batten 2.

I hope this makes sense, any input or suggestions very welcome!

Thanks, Rob.

Screenshot 2019-07-28 at 18.46.35.png

Savvy Symbol Section allows greater control over 2D detail than a hidden line view, including pan and tilt angle, clamp, clearance circle, and accessories. After creating you front view, you still need to make the object into a symbol to use as a Lighting Device.

The plug-in has a demo period, so you are welcome to give it a try and see if it fits your needs.

Thanks for all of your replies. I think I'm going to give Savvy Symbol Section a try as hopefully this will be more straightforward than trying teach myself the 3D side of things within my timescale for this event.  

Joshua I'll be sending over a request for a demo code soon!

Thanks, Rob.

This is a great example of why lighting fixture symbols need at least a plan instance and a “yoked out” instance. I know it is too late to consider adding this to existing symbols, but perhaps moving forward?  I do that with all my symbols and it’s not that time consuming. 

So just as a follow up to this, I have been using the demo version of Savvy Symbol Section and It is an excellent plug in! It does exactly what I need and is really easy to get to grips with.  I have attached a couple of pictures to show the progress so far.  @JBenghiat I shall be purchasing the full license very soon.

Thanks, Rob.

Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 13.15.30.png

Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 13.16.01.png

• Like 1
On 7/28/2019 at 6:01 PM, Sebastiaan said:

Draw it in 3D and present a font view of it on your sheet layer. Maybe  OpenGL or hidden line if you need it to look more clear. 

Use 3d labels or data tags if you need numbers in your plot. 

I have not drawn a 2d plot in years. There is no need to anymore 

I am curious as to how you present information to vendors without a plot.  I can imagine a world where all we need is a 3D model, but thus far, I’ve not seen that workflow in actuality. 

5 minutes ago, scottmoore said:

I am curious as to how you present information to vendors without a plot.  I can imagine a world where all we need is a 3D model, but thus far, I’ve not seen that workflow in actuality. 

I use viewports in 3D view (mostly Front) to present things that are built in 3D in real life. Data tags and 3D labels make it possible to present information with it like in 2D. 

It may be a little more work in making viewports, but it saves time on drawing your plot twice. 

A sheet layer with front views of booms/ ladders and or scaffolds is a plot too isn’t it? 

3 minutes ago, scottmoore said:

I see. So still presenting paperwork of some sort. I do understand that process. That is my argument for using DLVPs; you only draw once and can present anything you want however you want. Thanks for responding. Much appreciated. 

Oh yes absolutely it all ends up on paper or PDF eventually! Just the way to it is different. 

Personally I am principally against this use of DLVP’s. I believe the model should be in 3D as it will be in real life and we need techniques to present that on sheet layers. Or to share this with  others (perhaps non vwx people). Not the other way around. But I might be a minority. 

The argument made for DLVPs applies th sheet layer VPs and allows for many different views and object visibility choices from the same 3D model.  Top/Plan view allows for all the 2D info you could want (or at least all I can imagine).  Lighting Devices are particularly well adapted for for 2D presentation of a 3D model and truss do pretty well also.  I don't find DLVPs provide as much information flexibility and SLVPs.