Scaling&Layers ... hekp!!

Having just upgraded to 11.5 on my MAC I having a great deal of difficulty trying to work on a new layer. I have imported an AutoCAD drawing and can only view it as a 'sheet', when I try to redraw on it and save the object in a new layer, it dissapears !!! I also have a scaling problem...if I take say a staircase from the rtesoruce pallette and put it on the drawing the scale is way out of proportion to the drawing .. I thought that may have some influence on the layeering problem ?

I hope this makes sense to someone that can help me out

Thanks alot

First, check all the Fonts & Sizes. Second check all the symbols for Fonts. Third, check all the names of the symbols, layers , classes & hatches to make sure there are no spaces in the front of the first letter.

You need to select and replace the Fonts & sizes. I've seen imports with zero pt size for the fonts within symbols... bad bad very bad.

viewports (sheets) decide upon the viewing scale of the drawing that they reference. Autocad drawings are done in "no scale" (that is, you cannot set the scale of the model space). The scale then references the model space to the actual printed size of the drawing.

Vectorworks on the other hand, supports scaled layers. This can be confusing because the term scale actually refers to a relationship to two or more things. So...scale relationship to what? Well, the scale of each design layer refers to it's relationship to other design layers. Let's say you have a layer that is in 1:1 scale. You won't see any great difference that layer until you turn on another layer that is in a different scale. Put a staircase in a layer that is 1/4"=1'-0" and turn it on with a layer that is in 1:1 scale and your staircase will look tiny compared to something in that layer.

Sheet layers are "locked" into being 1:1 scale because they represent the layout of the page. Things that are real world size (borders, title blocks, text) go on the sheet layer, but generally drafting doesn't.

Jono, try this: (assuming you are in a sheet layer, as you state) double click on the viewport (which might actually be the entire viewable area). A dialog will come up with three options. Chose "design layer" and click OK. If this worked you should now be in the design (or "parent") layer which contains the actual drawing data, and from which the sheet layer/viewport was created. Hope that helps ...

That's great thanks guys. What did work was double clicking on the viewport and choosing design layer, thanks Peter. One problem still persists tho' ... the drawing has got lots of 'big' gridlines still on it, if I turn off the classes it gets rid of them but some are attributed to some of the objects which I need, so if I turn them off everything dissapears !! I'll work it out I'm sure but any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot

Jono

> would it help to draw everything on design layers at 1:1, and adjust the desired and final scale with a viewport? <

That's in essence the way that I work. For the past bunch of years my "working layer" has been left at the same scale - 3/8, I believe - for pretty-much all of my drawings. No deep reason for 3/8. It just worked best when I was getting started w. this system. All drawing plates for each drawing have simply referenced that layer at whatever scale I desired. Prior to ViewPorts I did it w. LayerLinks. Right now, my drawings use a single design layer, multiple sheet layers, and 130+ classes. Saved Views makes it all quite easy to manage.

Jono, I think that the main problem you are having is due to being forced to work with an imported ACAD file. When you get the chance I would urge you to learn the new VW's paradigm (design and sheet layers, viewports) on a new fresh project that can be started and completed in VW's. Once you get it I think you will have less and less trouble with imported files...That said, I can think of a couple of comments related the the grid lines you are seeing: 1) try going to PAGE>SET GRID and uncheck the "show grid lines" check box, or If that doesn't do it, then the lines were actually drawn and placed by whomever created the file.; 2) Try changing the class visibility setting (ORGANIZE>CLASS OPTIONS>ACTIVE ONLY) temporarily and then go through each class to determine if the lines are in a discreet class of their own. If they are, and once you figure out which one, you can make that one class invisible. [NOTE: Don't forget to change the class vis setting back to show,snap,modify others!!!] 3) If they have a discreet (ie different from anything else) characteristic such as color or line weight you can do a CUSTOM SELECTION of them and then create anew class to place them in. Hope that helps:-)

The lines are definately placed by someone they are not the working 'grid' that is a part of the pregramme. The odd thing is I have found which class they belong to and when I turned it off I also lost a whole bunch of other stuff in the same class, but I can't seem to highlight the lines to delete them . !!.. just a bit frustrating is all ... I will try the things you have suggested tho' and will work on my own start to finish design to try and get the hang of it all.

Thanks for all your help

Jono