I'm just getting into Worksheets, and I understand how to use it with symbols and finding their quantities. However, I would love to figure out how to get lumber material counts. Ideally, getting total lengths of lumber and total area of sheet goods, and then determining how many sticks/sheets are needed. I am having a tough time figuring out how to have the worksheet differentiate between 1x and ply - the only way I can think is to have different line types for each type of lumber and then put in different formulas based on the line types. Any ideas? 

Edited by NicoleD

Try creating some new classes with names that are logical your practice, and assign corresponding objects to them. As many or as few as make sense for your projects. Eg lumber-Sheet_ CDX_0.75,  lumber-Sheet_OSB_0.50,  lumber-Stix_2x4, lumber-Stix_2x6, etc. These class definitions can be assigned as worksheet criteria and can have various 2d & 3d attributes for graphic display. Add them to a template file if likely recurring in future projects.

-B

Thanks for that idea, that's what I was thinking was the best idea. However when trying pulling the length/width info for the worksheet, there's no clear concise way to get the total length when the shapes are in different orientations. The only way I found was to just add up what made sense.

Maybe I'm approaching differently, but this is doable if the various geometric objects are not too customized.

For linear lumber (2x4, 2x6, etc) cut at square ends and classed for the nominal dimension, a worksheet can pull values for length (=length) if a piece is represented by an extruded rectangle (eg 1.5"x3.5") extruded to lengths as needed.  Orientation (lean, rotation, etc) of the extrude does not skew the data.  There may also be some smart object data that easily inform worksheets.

If lumber extrude is notched or angle cut, =LENGTH  returns the length of the long edge.

For other situations, sometimes math can help with variations of A=LxW, or V=AxH, or other with data columns for =VOLUME, or =SURFACEAREA informing cells with formula for L=A/W or other.  Careful, though, the =Area for extrudes returns the area of the source object for the extrude, not the entire surface area of the extruded 3d volume.

HTH

-B

23 minutes ago, Macluskie said:

NicoleD

Not sure if this is what you mean but I was playing around with this ages ago and wrote this quick explanation to work out quantity, cost and weight of workshop 3D models

https://paperclip.rcs.ac.uk/index.php/Worksheets

I need to rewrite this for 2019 🙂

I use a similar method to calculate material costs.   I'm working on another sheet that calculates the costing for about 50 different metal extrusions that can be used in exhibit fabrication.   The company I'm with now has quote sheet that was made about 6 years ago but doesn't reflect current design needs or pricing flexibility.   I'm hoping to have the new worksheet fully integrated before September when things get busy here!

2 hours ago, Macluskie said:

NicoleD

Not sure if this is what you mean but I was playing around with this ages ago and wrote this quick explanation to work out quantity, cost and weight of workshop 3D models

https://paperclip.rcs.ac.uk/index.php/Worksheets

I need to rewrite this for 2019 🙂

This is great thank you! I figured it out, however the total length is slightly off but only by a fraction of an inch. 

The formula to find total length of 1x4 is =(Perim(C='Material-1x4'))/2

The formula to find total number of 4x8 sheets for 1/4" Ply is =(Area(C='Material-Ply 1/4'))/32    (32 being the area of a 4x8 sheet)

Now I'm going to add my new classes and worksheet to my start file. Thanks all!

Worksheet.png

• Like 1