Items appear in viewport rendering, but not able to find them in design layers

JCCARROLL

Question

I have some unwanted objects that appear in a viewport rendering that I am unable to find in the design layers so that I may delete them. I have tried turning on all layers and classes and the objects are unable to be seen. I have tried to edit the design layers through the edit viewport window and the objects do not appear in the design layer of the viewport. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to find these objects? I am using Vectorworks 2018 on a MAC.

Edited by JCCARROLL

2 answers to this question

Add some equipment, system and vwx info to your forum signature to help with troubleshoot.

Just wild guessing at some possible causes and fixes. Some more plausible than others  - - - 

Graphics driver up to date?

Clip cube off?

Layer scale issue?

Objects on the sheet layer, behind or in front of the vp?

Could they be in the vp annotations, instead of on a design layer?

Several vps on this sheet? Offending objects might be strays in annotations of a vp elsewhere on the sheet.

Screen objects on a design layer that are way out of frame in most views?

Assuming this is sheet layer view port, not a referenced design layer view port.  And, unwanted objects are visible in renders that don’t take too long Eg wire frame or OGL so that test render times are tolerable. . . 

Some things to try:

Duplicate the file - safety first. In the dupe:

—Check that the vp is not a stack of multiple vps, including inadvertent duplicate of front vp. Eg move or delete the vp to see if anything behind. Problem could be in the stack. If all good, Undo to restore.

__Delete/restore other vps on the sheet to verify that the objects are not stray annotations in some other vp on same sheet. 

If it looks like problem is in the vp, click to select the vp, then

__Switch off ALL the design layers via the OIP, and rerender.

—If objects gone, start making layers visible again one or two at a time until the objects reappear in the vp. Now you know which design layer to examine. In that design, layer make all classes visible and Select All, then choose Fit to Objects.  The offenders might be very distant from the other objects, but if needed, marquee zoom to the bunches of selection handles to see what’s there. Note that duplicate offending objects could also be copied on other layers, so test again if needed, until eliminated from all design layers. 

—If objects still visible when all vp layers switched off, they are either on the sheet layer in front or behind the vp, or in the annotations of this vp or of one of the other vps on the sheet.

HTH. Post again with updates.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Comma