Fit Walls to Objects

Hi all,

This is my first try at designing in 3D and I seem to be doing ok but am having trouble extending my 2nd floor gable end walls up to the roof.

I have used the 'fit walls to object' tool successfully elsewhere on the model but can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong at 2nd floor level! I'm assuming it is to do with the way I have set up the stories, layers and levels but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong!

I thought it might have something to do with the 2nd floor external walls not having a height? I have tried changing the bounding of the walls (top bound to top of slab and bottom bound to bottom of slab) but this has no affect on the height of the walls.

I can fit my 1st floor walls up to the roof but I want to put a feature window in the front gable and inserting this in the 1st floor external wall looks incorrect in plan view.

Any help with this would be appreciated!! I have attached the file for anyone to play with!

Thanks in advance, James.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@jwseas

I think I found what is going on wrong. The bottom of your wall is intersecting your roof and that is why the roof is not counted as valid for fitting. You could move your wall a bit lower (it worked for me with -100 with Move 3D by Z). I have used Top Boun of Layer Wall Height.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It seems like your side walls that are directly under the roof are still above it and that is why the fitting is failing. -500 offset fixes it, maybe less than that could work too. Make sure you do not have walls that are above the objects that you are top fitting to, so that your fit does not fail.

Not sure if this helps but I am a great fan of fit walls to objects and use it all the time. Sometimes however the wall/s seem to "retain" the original "instruction/s" and it it a fairly simple process to delete wall peaks top and bottom and start again. Cheers D

@jwseas I have some comments to make and I'll upload some changes I've made, but just a couple of questions first:

1. What's your 1st floor floor build-up intended to be? Joists 247 mm? And floor boards 18 mm or 22 mm?

2. How thick will ceiling board be?

3. And is it intended to be 2400 mm from finished floor level to underside of ceiling?

Hi @Christiaan ,

1. I selected a pre-configured floor build up. As you have questioned it, I've checked the build up and it's 175mm joists with 18mm flooring. I would usually allow 225mm joists and 22m flooring.

2. Ceiling board will be 13mm with 5mm plaster over

3. Yes, 2400mm from finished floor to finished ceiling applied to both stories.

I look forward to seeing the changes!

Thanks.

1. Okay so the first step was to get your Storey heights sorted out: 2400 +13 + 225 + 22 gives you your floor-to-floor height = 2660. That means your top Storey should be 5320.

2. Next, your Levels and Level Types. I generally like to work with finished floor levels and work back from there rather than structural levels. So I changed your finished floor elevation offset to 0 and set the top of slab level to -22 for upper storeys.

3. Next was to edit your floor slab object: 225 + 22 instead of 175 + 18. But I like to separate the structural floor and finishing floor onto separate layers. It makes more conceptual sense to me than putting a Slab object on the Slab Layer and setting the level to the structural component, when it still includes a finishing element. Makes more organisational sense to me to put the deck or floating floor element on the floor layer. It also makes wall/slab junctions more straight forward. This is a matter of personal preference.

4. So I've then gone ahead and made all the Slabs you need, structural, finishing and ceilings. And reset the stair.

5 . I added a Window Head Level Type as these can be quite useful. In the case of your external walls I set the 1st floor top wall bounds to Window Head and the bottom bounds of your 2nd floor to Window Head (Story Below), then Fit Walls to Objects to the Roof. The important thing is not to get fixated on what you think are logically the top and bottom bounds of walls according to how the building will be constructed. The main driver for top and bottom bounds is whatever best suits Vectorworks' system of Layers and Level Types. (to get correct looking sections you simply adjusted the top and bottom bounds of your Wall Components).

6. For the internal walls where the Fit Walls to Objects command doesn't work because the bottom of these walls is already intersecting with the Roof, you can simply set the bottom bound to something below the roof level (doesn’t matter what it is as long as it’s below the roof, can also be a manual offset). I set it to Window Head (Story Below). Then you simply edit all the Wall Component bounds separately to where you actually want the bottom of the wall to sit, in this case top of deck I believe (Finish Floor). Then you can fit the wall to the Roof. It tricks the Roof object into thinking the bottom of the wall is below the roof.

P.S. I would also suggest splitting the ceiling up into a room by room basis.

Model_Rev_A.vwx.zip

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @Kevin Allen,

The problem in your file is that there are many wall peaks created and they cannot be visualized. You could remove your peaks and fit walls again with greater curved wall fit interval (for me it worked with 5').

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Well lookie there!

So, setting peaks seems to be through Curved Wall Fir dim.I would have assumed a tighter dim for a better fit.

Thanks @Christiaan , 

I really appreciate the time you have taken to look at this for me when I'm sure you have fee earning things to be getting on with!

The updated settings in the model is a really good reference to have. When you see it written down, it makes more sense.

Thanks again.