Door Hardware - Frobnt anbd Rear need to be different

Hi all,

I'm drawing a venue and want to get serious with some of the details. 

I need a panic bar on the inside of several of the doors, and a lever on the outside.  But the hardware pane in the door hardware preferences only wants to let me put one kind of thing on a door, and it puts the panic bar on the inside (rightly so), but nothing on the outside.  How do you add a lever or put different hardware on different sides?

Steve

Guest Beckstorm

@Steve Boone  So, in the Door Settings… you can choose Hardware and you can pick your own hardware.  If we don't have it you will need to make a symbol to match what you need, maybe you could get away with editing current symbols 

@Matt Panzer  Do you have a better workflow?  The door tool is not my forte 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
16 hours ago, BrandonSPP said:

@Steve Boone  So, in the Door Settings… you can choose Hardware and you can pick your own hardware.  If we don't have it you will need to make a symbol to match what you need, maybe you could get away with editing current symbols 

@Matt Panzer  Do you have a better workflow?  The door tool is not my forte 

@BrandonSPP, Correct. You could add the lever you want to the door so it imports that symbol, then change the hardware to the panic bar you want so that symbol imports.  Then edit the lever symbol and copy the all of the 3D geometry, edit the panic bar symbol and "paste in place" and delete the parts you don't need. Just make sure you do this to a hardware symbol that you don't want to use as it originally was on other doors.

However, if you want to create a new hardware set using this new symbol for use in other projects, you may want to add it to a library file in your Vectorworks user folder. This is a bit more involved but let me know if this is something you'd like to do.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!  After giving the door a panic bar, I ended up duplicating and editing the symbol for a standard lever (I deleted everything except the handle and escutcheon) and placed it at the right spot on the door.  It's now grouped with the shutter and associated panic bar hardware, just so they stay together as I copy this to the 21 locations where doors like this are in the venue (they sure build these places with a lot of doors, and these aren't even the main entrances or loading doors!).   This is all just to make the presentation look a little better than before.  It's the lighting and scenery for the show (coming up in November) that really need to be correct.

Edited by Steve Boone