Windows 10 1903 Upgrade???

Hi, not 100% sure if this is the right forum for this, so Mods please move if needed...but....

Has anyone had trouble with Vectorworks 2019 (SP4) not successfully opening after an update to Windows 10 1903?

We have had 3 machines in the office all upgrade fine and Vectorworks continues to work just fine.

One person's laptop upgraded and Vectorworks now will close as soon as its finished loading and opening all the palettes.

Any ideas?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi,

This does sound like a graphics issue.  The NVIDIA link posted by @Nicolas Goutte works well.  For an AMD version you may need to create an application profile.  See here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-012#Link13

If this doesn't help then I suggest you try resetting your user folder and running the repair tool.

User folder reset:

Close Vectorworks > Start > search %appdata% > Nemetschek > Vectorworks > rename 2019 to something like 2019old so you have a backup of your preferences.

Repair tool:

Close Vectorworks > File Explorer > navigate to Vectorworks 2019 Updater folder within the program folder (be default it will be located here: C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2019\Vectorworks 2019 Updater) > run the updater program > let it refresh if needed > Advanced Options > hold Alt and click Repair.

I hoe this helps you @frozenwaffles

Ragards

Adam Robinson

• Like 2

Could this be a duplicate serial number that is already in use on the network causing the laptop Vectorworks to shut down?? Just a thought. I think if it was a graphics issue it wouldn't be so polite by waiting for everything to load but I may be wrong.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, uglycat said:

Could this be a duplicate serial number that is already in use on the network causing the laptop Vectorworks to shut down?? Just a thought. I think if it was a graphics issue it wouldn't be so polite by waiting for everything to load but I may be wrong.

@uglycat,

I very highly doubt the issue is being caused by a duplicate licence being used.  If this was the case then @frozenwaffles would be getting a message saying the licence is in use elsewhere and will now shutdown giving the option to save.

10 minutes ago, uglycat said:

Normally it is the other way round: it is the newly started VW that shuts down the older one (assuming the duplicate dialog is not shown).

(That is supposed to be a feature, as you might not have immediate physical access to the other computer to shut down VW.)

As for GPU issues, VW tends to crash when 3D mode is switched on... which might be quite late.

However reading how you describe the load process, it reminds me of another possibility for a late crashes at startup: a totally wrong serial number, e.g. German VW mit US serial number.

Edited by Nicolas Goutte
7 hours ago, uglycat said:

no this is not it. this license is only being used on one machine with one install.

8 hours ago, Adam Robinson said:

Hi,

This does sound like a graphics issue.  The NVIDIA link posted by @Nicolas Goutte works well.  For an AMD version you may need to create an application profile.  See here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-012#Link13

If this doesn't help then I suggest you try resetting your user folder and running the repair tool.

User folder reset:

Close Vectorworks > Start > search %appdata% > Nemetschek > Vectorworks > rename 2019 to something like 2019old so you have a backup of your preferences.

Repair tool:

Close Vectorworks > File Explorer > navigate to Vectorworks 2019 Updater folder within the program folder (be default it will be located here: C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2019\Vectorworks 2019 Updater) > run the updater program > let it refresh if needed > Advanced Options > hold Alt and click Repair.

I hoe this helps you @frozenwaffles

Ragards

Adam Robinson

thanks for these suggestions adam, will try these.

ok so after uninstalling vectorworks completely and also uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers completely and it still not working, we nailed it down to a Displaylink driver being the issue.

Updated this and re-installed everything once again and all is working.

my user had a 24" LCD connected to his laptop for main view  but also a USB displaylink LCD for pallets and other misc items to show on his workstation.

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2019 at 6:40 PM, frozenwaffles said:

ok so after uninstalling vectorworks completely and also uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers completely and it still not working, we nailed it down to a Displaylink driver being the issue.

Updated this and re-installed everything once again and all is working.

my user had a 24" LCD connected to his laptop for main view  but also a USB displaylink LCD for pallets and other misc items to show on his workstation.

Hi @frozenwaffles Did this resolve the issue?? asking for a friend 🙂

• Like 1