Jump to content
  • 0
Sebastiaan

OpenGL Graininess surrounding objects

Question

Hi,

 

I am currently having a weird open GL thing.

 

I have three viewport on top of each other on a sheet layer. On the bottom is a opemGL frontview of a stage. In the middle is a wireframe sheet with Spotlight lights with 3d labels. And on the top is a openGL Spotlight light without the 3d Labels. This way my labels and lights always lay readible on top of any geometry in de stage. 

 

I have used this workflow for a couple of years and also on several projects this year without issues. But now all geometry in the top viewport is surrounded by white grainy smutch. See attached screenshot.

 

1720630808_ScreenShot2019-07-19at17_15_28.thumb.png.900da89b95ebd3ae59a5d6a853b20186.png

 

Opengl is set to high quality and anti aliasing is turned on. The issue is occuring in 6 different files at this moment. They where al new 2019 files that I have imported layers + objects in.

 

I am on VWX 19 SP3.

 

Anyone have any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post

12 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Would it help to increase the sheet layer resolution? Edit via the sheet layer list in Organization Palette or Navigation Palette. Default value is low and causes similar scutch. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
12 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

Would it help to increase the sheet layer resolution? Edit via the sheet layer list in Organization Palette or Navigation Palette. Default value is low and causes similar scutch. 

 

Unfortunately that is not it. It is already set to 300

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Is the alpha channel turned on in the OGL vps? That could cause the white pixels. But it usually affects only PNG image captures. Total longshot. 

 

If if you can force the problem in a simple test file post it here so forum can take a look.

 

-B

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
16 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Is the alpha channel turned on in the OGL vps? That could cause the white pixels. But it usually affects only PNG image captures. Total longshot. 

 

If if you can force the problem in a simple test file post it here so forum can take a look.

 

-B

 

Thanks for your reply, alpha channel is turned on.

 

Attached is a new file with the issue replicated. Also a screenshot of the issue. This is by the way only happening on sheet layers. Hope you can see whats's wrong

 

555708369_ScreenShot2019-07-21at15_48_21.thumb.png.b119cde2f69296699703d417fa30fdd0.png

 

 

Test OpenGL.vwx

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@Sebastiaan Took a look at your test file.

 

I think this is mainly the small scale of the vps causing OGL pixelation.  I made a duplicate of the the vp stacks and increased the vp scale to from 1:50 to 1:10.  The jaggy scaffolding brace rendered much better, as did the fuzzy outlines of the lighting device graphics.

 

In your test file's native condition, the labels (D1-1, D1-2) show same background fill in both stacks on my system.  Unlike the screenshot in your post.  Maybe a reboot would make the labels show or perhaps the VP class viz are different in the test file?

 

Also, the viewport OGL Background Render resolution can be raised to Very High, if desired.  Not much improvement at 1:50 or at 1:10.

 

I also tried some of the Renderworks render styles.  I think the OGL looks best, but that's up to you.

 

-B

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
25 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

@Sebastiaan Took a look at your test file.

 

I think this is mainly the small scale of the vps causing OGL pixelation.  I made a duplicate of the the vp stacks and increased the vp scale to from 1:50 to 1:10.  The jaggy scaffolding brace rendered much better, as did the fuzzy outlines of the lighting device graphics.

 

The thing is that the projects I did in May and June did not show this distortion. I usually print my plots at around 1:100. So something changed since then, I just can’t figure out what. 

25 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

 

In your test file's native condition, the labels (D1-1, D1-2) show same background fill in both stacks on my system.  Unlike the screenshot in your post.  Maybe a reboot would make the labels show or perhaps the VP class viz are different in the test file?

Have had numerous reboots and program restarts also it happens in every new file that I start now. The fact that the label fill of the OpenGL label renders fine on your machine makes me think there must be some setting somewhere that triggers the behavior. However strange it is that it is only visible on a sheet layer. 

 

25 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

Also, the viewport OGL Background Render resolution can be raised to Very High, if desired.  Not much improvement at 1:50 or at 1:10.

 

I also tried some of the Renderworks render styles.  I think the OGL looks best, but that's up to you.

 

-B

I never had to increase the setting to get acceptable result. Something changed somewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Just opened a file from a project in may and updated the viewport without changing any settings see screenshot below:

 

429448305_ScreenShot2019-07-21at21_59_39.thumb.png.e5193b07d230f9f37a9a77f971f4e11e.png

 

Ans then below screenshot from the PDF that I made then from the exact same sheet layer with exactly the same setting. Find the differences....

 

1385833921_ScreenShot2019-07-21at21_55_45.thumb.png.0d25a903336c4574098bc7b7bba4ceda.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Posted (edited)

In the label symbol one can control classes and attributes (Eg by class or not by class, colors, etc) of the various text blocks.   I'm not sure the fuzzyness is related to this, but something to look at.  Also could be a vwx reset of attributes or alpha, or other triggered by version update between May and now?

 

Anyway I’m stumped.  

 

Others on forum, please take a look!

 

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
NOT sure
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

In the label symbol one can control classes and attributes (Eg by class or not by class, colors, etc) of the various text blocks.   I'm not sure the fuzzyness is related to this, but something to look at.

Also could be a vwx reset of attributes or alpha, or other triggered by version update between May and now?

 

Anyway I’m stumped.  

 

Others on forum, please take a look!

 

-B

 

If can’t be class related. I opened the old file without changing anything to it. So all class settings should be exactly the same as back in May. 

 

Also i already updated so sp3 directly when it came out in March. Not sure when sp3.1 came out but did that one straight away also. 

 

I’m stumped too! 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@Sebastiaan I think I might have your answer...

 

If you go to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Edit Tab > Is the Default Compression set to JPEG? If so, can you swap it over to PNG and update the viewports?

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, ASagatovVW said:

@Sebastiaan I think I might have your answer...

 

If you go to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Edit Tab > Is the Default Compression set to JPEG? If so, can you swap it over to PNG and update the viewports?

 

I wondered if it was related to that setting. I know its been the source of other issues so there may of been changes behind the scenes in a SP.

Kevin

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...