Exporting Saved Views?

Josh,

Would it be possible to use Work Group Referencing? If the Head Designer's file were considered the "master file" and the other users WGR'd it, he would still have to save to transmit an update to the "remote" files, but no copy/pasting.

The limitation is that the "remote" files can't directly access the components of the "master" file . . . the "master" layers are read in and available for views, alignment, etc. Any direct modification to the referenced layers will be lost the next time the reference is updated.

Without a better understanding of your work-flow pattern, that's a rather vague suggestion. Hope it helps.

Good luck,

[ 05-09-2005, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Travis ]

I appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately I don't think it'll work. We've tried out references in the past and found that they simply don't work well for what we're doing. At first our renderings are broken up between four people to work on but, for the final product, they're put back together into one document for the Final Quality render (two, if the audience we're rendering is sizeable.) I'm sorry to be so vague, but it would take far too long to get into our full process here.

Needless to say, referencing doesn't work well for what we're trying to accomplish. The only thing we need from document to document, before the final components are placed together in one, is the main viewpoint so that we can look to it for object placement, lighting, etc... The main conscern is the afore mentioned audience, which can be enormous in both file size and number of objects. Cutting and pasting that many objects from document to document is troublesome and time consuming. If I could just take the view from the head designer's document, however, I could simply use that to place the audience where it needs to be in the already existing file.

I hope that clears up what I'm trying to accomplish a little. Any help any of you can offer is appreciated.

with our localised version of VectorWorks we have access to a camera tool. if you set up a camera, then you could copy and paste the camera from one file to another.

other that that, if you learnt VectorScript you could (maybe) write a tool that could read the new view in one file and write this to a text file. then in the next file you might be able to read the text file and make the view for you.

Hello, everyone.

I work in a set design office where we've been using Vectorworks since version 8.0 or so. One of our most common uses for the program is in creating semi-complex Renderings for use in pitches for new jobs. Due to the complexity of these Renderings, though, we sometimes have up to four people at once working on them, assembling 3d components, changing lighting, choosing views, etc...

Which brings me to the main issue... Often during the rendering process, the head designer will become unsatisfied with the current view he's using and change it. As a result, however, the rest of us are suddenly left with outdated views for our own components which can result in errors and hurried changes that can set us back. The only way to keep updated is for him to save a copy of his current file for us to open, then we have to cut all of our 3d components and lighting, and save it into the copy of his file. considering the large size of some of the files we're c&ping, this can take a lot of time and can even crash Vectorworks in the case of huge files.

So, my question is this: Is there any way in Vectorworks to export or otherwise save individual Saved Views from one VW document to another? Needless to say, if there is it'd be a much more time saving process than what we're currently doing. Any help or suggestions you can give would be appreciated.

For the same shared rendering viewpoint reasons i wrote a crude pair of VectorScripts as a way to exchange view projections. Saview creates a text file that stores the current document viewpoint. ImportView lets you choose a text file from which to import the projection. I then saved these as custom menu commands and added them to my export/import workspace. It is important that the documents exchanging views maintain relative origins, scales, and page setups. Also at the time that I wrote these, was unable to procedurally set the Projection, so the script presents a dialog indicating the current projection and subsequently askes the user to set it manually. I'm going to try to add the pair of scripts below as text, otherwise email me for the plug-ins if you're interested. Also; I use these, they work, I save before I use them, but they're crude and sometimes behave unexpectedly. be careful.

-f

Exporting the view:

code:

Procedure Saview;

{this will create a text file with view orientation and projection}

{© 6/25/2003 frank clementi}

VAR

xAngleR, yAngelR, zAngleR, offsetX, offsetY, offsetZ:REAL;

pv: REAL;

par:STRING;

fileName:STRING;

BEGIN

GetView(xAngleR, yAngelR, zAngleR, offsetX, offsetY, offsetZ);

par:=Concat(xAngleR,' ', yAngelR,' ', zAngleR,' ', offsetX,' ', offsetY,' ', offsetZ);

PutFile('put file','view.txt',fileName);

IF NOT DidCancel THEN

BEGIN

WriteLnMac(par);

DoMenuTextByName('Perspective Chunk',1);

pv:= RealDialog('Enter Perspective Value','9.76');

WriteLnMac(pv);

Close(filename);

END;

END;

RUN(Saview);
[/code]

Next Routine: Importing the View

code:

Procedure ImportView;

{this will ask to open a text file created

with the export view command to set the same

projection in the current document}

{© 6/25/2003 frank clementi}

VAR

xAngleR, yAngelR, zAngleR, offsetX, offsetY, offsetZ:REAL;

par:STRING;

fileName:STRING;

pv:REAL;

Pset: BOOLEAN;

BEGIN

GetFile (fileName);

IF NOT DidCancel THEN

BEGIN

Readln(xAngleR, yAngelR, zAngleR, offsetX, offsetY, offsetZ);

SetView(xAngleR, yAngelR, zAngleR, offsetX, offsetY, offsetZ);

Readln(pv);

Pset:=YNDialog(ConCat('Set Perspective to: ',pv,'?'));

IF Pset = TRUE Then

DoMenuTextByName('Perspective Chunk',1);

Close (fileName);

END;

END;

RUN(ImportView);
[/code]

what if you keep doing it the way you currently do, but rather than saving a copy of the new master file, get the head guy to copy his file, delete his/her model but retain the view, then you guys all retrieve his blank file with its preset view.... i guess you all still have to copy&paste your huge scenes but it cuts out 1 step