Layer scale without moving drawing position

Biscontin

Question

Hello 🙂

Is there a way to maintain the position of the drawing when changing the layer scale?

See the video attached, if I want to keep the "reference point" that I indicate with the arrow after scaling the drawing... so the drawings "scale" from that point... is it possible?

5 answers to this question

I just tried this, forgetting I had my user and internal origins on the same point.  It seems the layer scales around the internal origin.

If you Tools > Origin > Locate Internal Origin, and centre your drawing around that, does it scale the way you want it to?

Edit: By "centre your drawing" I mean move your drawing so that what you want as a "reference point" is on that internal origin.

Edited by A.D.K.

Design layer scales are confusing and a bit of a misnomer. Your drawing won't have physically moved or "scaled" (i.e. changed size), it's just the page based title blocks and the page size which have changed size relative to your world based drawing.

Page based symbols such as your title blocks will change size when you change the DL scale so that they stay the same size relative to your page.

The effect is that it looks like your drawing has moved but it is actually in the same place and the same size.

A think a better set up for drawing files is using sheet layers and viewports. The title blocks are on sheet layers rather than on design layers and instead of using saved views of each drawing page your drawing is viewported onto sheet layers. Viewport scales, class visibilities and much more can be adjusted however you want and are independant of design layer scales without effecting your page/ titleblock set up.

This way the DL scale is used only to standardise the appearance of things like lineweights, markers, text size etc across your file which may have many design layers at different scales.

It looks to me as though you are using design layers for printing. This means that you have one design layer for your drawn information and one design layer and one design layer for your title block. When you scale the drawing layer, you're not scaling the title block layer. 

this is not an effective way to use Vectorworks. It is better to use design layers for drawing, and sheet layers for the printing (and title blocks).