Are Callouts just buggy as toast, or am I doing it wrong?

A.D.K.

Question

Screenshot of latest ridiculousness is attached.

Every single time I insert, edit, or delete a callout I seem to get some sort of graphic ghost or other bug.  The attached pic is the three most recent positions for the callout in question, and they won't go away.

Sometimes it's these.  Sometimes it's disappearing text (despite graphic and text attributes, and class/layer assignments/visibilities/stacking being identical to another, well-behaved instance).  Most often they refuse to accept graphic attribute changes.  I don't have this problem with any other properties or resources.

Yes, they almost always resolve with a restart.  But restarting the software every time I want to touch a callout is unreasonable. 

I don't think I'm doing anything unreasonable to them.  I make them one at a time, and so far they're all plain old text, no database link. The second screenshot is my default preferences for new callouts.  Have I done something silly that's hard on the program in some way?

Thanks!

tempSS.JPG

tempSS.JPG

21 answers to this question

Guest Alex Sagatov

@A.D.K. Considering the issue normally disappears after a restart, this would likely point to a graphical issue and not specifically a setting with the tool.

Can you try going to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display Tab > Navigation Graphics:

1) What did you currently have this set to?

2) Can you try adjusting it to another setting and see if the issue disappears (if it is actively happening like your screenshot) or if you no longer run into the issue?

Hi @ASagatovVW ,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had it set to "Best Performance", but when I changed it to "Good Performance and Compatibility" (the middle of the 3 options), I immediately got an awful performance hit (so not a workable compromise, even if it had fixed it).  And the blue boxes are still there, despite much zooming and flying over.  Also tried turning on and off the class and design layer visibility, and switching to a sheet layer and back. 

Guest Alex Sagatov

@A.D.K. Understood. Dropping that setting will impact sheet layer navigation speeds (Best Performance includes the sheet layer VGM improvement in 2019).

Just to make sure, you had a situation actively occurring where things were offset/wrong and upon changing that setting, it became slower AND the graphical issue didn't correct? In this specific case, does restarting Vectorworks fix it?

If the issue does persist through a restart, getting a copy of the file would be helpful.

1 hour ago, A.D.K. said:

Files were created in vwx 2019.

Diving deeper - were they created from templates which were originally created in a previous version?

I occasionally get the issue with callouts not picking up the by-class fill. Seems toggling to another colour (not the by-class colour) and then back to by-class seems to work.

If you want to post a copy of a file happy to have a quick look on my machine.

I think callouts definitely need some love. There are issues with drop shadows too - not to mention linking to notes databases...

• Like 1

@ASagatovVW I'll read up on the Very Great Movements improvement, but it seems like to get stuff done I need to leave it in performance mode.

You're correct, when I changed that setting things slowed down (expected behaviour) and the graphic ghosts did not go away (unexpected behaviour).

They also persist through visibility, layer, and flyover navigation changes.

The ghosting issue, as with the other mysterious graphical issues (like not taking settings) are all resolved on restart.  I can't pin down when/how each issue occurs, unfortunately.  Sometimes it's one, sometimes another.  They do all seem to resolve on restart, but as stated that's not really a reasonable fix; I can't be reopening a file every time I touch a callout.

Thanks!

Guest Alex Sagatov

@A.D.K. I haven't been able to replicate the offsetting/ghosting issue shown in the original post, but the post about the class attributes, I can replicate and it has been submitted ( Reference Number: VB-162951 ).

A few notes from my testing which may be helpful for now:

1) If the callout is placed directly into the class (the class you want it in is active when you use the callout tool), it seems to pull the settings properly. I am only getting this result if I try adjusting the callout class after it is already placed.

2) If you change the line attribute setting in the attributes palette to "Solid", it then seems to pull the color from the class properly.

@Boh No, all templates were made in 2019.  Unfortunately of the 5 or so files I've got running, I can't remember which were made from which versions of which templates, it's been rather evolving with my learning curve.  I may very well have bugged out a template somewhere.

I'll try tomorrow to clean you up a file that doesn't violate my NDA. Thanks for offering!

Just now, ASagatovVW said:

@A.D.K. I haven't been able to replicate the offsetting/ghosting issue shown in the original post, but the post about the class attributes, I can replicate and it has been submitted ( Reference Number: VB-162951 ).

1) If the callout is placed directly into the class (the class you want it in is active when you use the callout tool), it seems to pull the settings properly. I am only getting this result if I try adjusting the callout class after it is already placed.

2) If you change the line attribute setting in the attributes palette to "Solid", it then seems to pull the color from the class properly.

Thank you for this @ASagatovVW .

Those two notes do make sense based on my last hour as well.  I've now been making sure the correct class is active when creating the callout, and I haven't had the attributes problem since.

I'll try to keep you posted on recurring ghosty problems as they arise.

Very much appreciate your help!

11 minutes ago, ASagatovVW said:

Thanks for submitting this! I noted it in another thread here - 

Kevin

• Like 1

@ASagatovVW It happened again!

I took a screenshot before restarting.  Restart did fix, though interestingly, stripping the file of everything but the text style in question did not.

"Console 5" is the original, and has ghosts.  "Console 5 Copy" was a copy/paste of the original, and has ghosts.  "Console 5 New" was created after, with the target class already active, and does not have ghosts. 

The ghosts on the original are from a layer scale operation, and those on "copy" are from just moving it.  The one visible above "new" is from "copy", but before I renamed it "copy" (in case you're wondering about the size difference).

EDIT: I seem to be able to reliably replicate this by scaling the layer.

The file is attached, but I imagine you'll get the same no ghost situation as me when you load it fresh.

BadCalloutNoDonut.vwx

tempSS.JPG

Edited by A.D.K.

Could be related to the dodgey "Leader Attributes" settings on the OIP (seperate post on forum). I didn't get the ghosting but had the weird edit attributes highlighting come on after editing the callout.

Double clicking on the vertex setting in the OIP seems to help get rid of the prob. Not sure it will sort the ghosting however.

Guest Alex Sagatov

@A.D.K.

Further update: It seems that I can replicate the blue boxes / ghosting issue in your provided test file by changing layer scales; however, I'm still not replicating this in a new document from scratch. Submitting your test file will at least get the ball rolling here, but finding out how to make this occur in a new document will likely be key for finding the exact cause/fix.

In your example file, I am seeing a blue highlighting, but I don't see blue applied to anything. Did you previously have blue applied to one of the class attributes that the callout may have been originally placed in?

Guest Alex Sagatov

@A.D.K. Ah, you are correct! If I adjust that color, it does use that color when adjusting the layer scales!

I will put together a submit here and post the reference number shortly. Figuring out how to get it to this point will still probably be important, but we at least have enough information for a submit. Now that we know it is tied to that color setting, it may be easy to fix/figure out in the background.

EDIT: Here is the reference number for the submit on the ghosting ( VB-163003 ).

Edited by Alex Sagatov

@ASagatovVW Here's a new one, with different behaviour.  I was making another file to submit with another bug report, and made a special callout class with big text to leave notes for them.

The ones I created in class "none", then switched class, took the graphic and text attributes as intended.

The ones I created with the intended class active first did not take the text attributes.

This is different than what we were experiencing before, so I thought I'd ping you this file in case you want to update the bug reports.  There are two classes of callouts in the file attached here: one from the original file for the other bug report (purple), and one for this issue (white).

BadCalloutv2_17July.vwx