Strange VP's on Sheet Page

Hello Forum, I'm putting some viewports on my sheet page, I'm getting strange things happening, they look a mess. I seem to be able to get some elevations to look ok, but any kind of 3d perspective is producing bizarre results, any ideas ? tia 

screenshots attached of how a view in the model space, and then on the sheet page after creating a viewport

Design Space.JPG

Sheet Page.JPG

Guest Wes Gardner

@milezee, something isn't scaling correctly...if I change the scale of the rendered perspective viewport to 1/4", everything looks correct.  Perhaps it's your page-based symbols?  More testing is required here...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Miles and Wes

I've had a look at the file and my first thought is that those cabinet symbols seem to be page based rather than world based. My gut feel is that you probably want items like this to be world based. So, I suspect they are not sizing as you expect in the viewport, and that appears as a rendering problem.

Taking a closer look, but that's our initial diagnosis...

• Like 1

@Tamsin Slatter,  @Wes Gardner thanks for all of the help you provide.

Can you briefly summarize or point to ann information resource that describes the differences in function and usage

between page based and world based symbols?

Though I'm a long time user, I'm not aware of the distinction.

@Wes Gardner, The implication being, at least in this case, when the cabinets in the file submitted by @milezee, are converted to symbols, 

simply choose world based, rather than page based (correct?).. For some reason, I never seemed to have the need to make that distinction... perhaps when creating symbols in my files, the correct (page or world based) setting was checked by default..  also FWIW, the pages seemed to render correctly in perspective without

my changing any settings in @milezee's file.

Guest Wes Gardner

@dtheory, yes, by default, the cabinets and equipment are set to world-based.  Yours my be rendering correctly on the design layer, but on the sheet layer, they'll be odd until your correct the page/world issue.

Wes

Page based symbols would be for an annotation. For example, if you were creating a plan that shows a city centre, and will be shown at a scale such as 1:1000, but you will want to be able to see the symbol for the railway station. 

Hatches and tiles can also be page based - and are used as patterns that will never change regardless of presentation scale. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dtheory said:

@Wes Gardner, The implication being, at least in this case, when the cabinets in the file submitted by @milezee, are converted to symbols, 

simply choose world based, rather than page based (correct?).. For some reason, I never seemed to have the need to make that distinction... perhaps when creating symbols in my files, the correct (page or world based) setting was checked by default..  also FWIW, the pages seemed to render correctly in perspective without

my changing any settings in @milezee's file.

The default option when creating a symbol is world-based, yes.