Fitting objects/moving a page to objects

I have imported a DWG and although I can see all objects, I have no idea where the page is. If I go "fit to page" the objects are far off, so far I cannot see them. If I go to "fit to objects" I can't find the page outline. I have tried rescaling the drawing but the page seems to be in completely different coordinates. How can I align objects and a page?

Thanks

Kim

This is really common in dwgs,  especially with site surveys.  The location of the page is often meaningless.

No need to rescale, that won't really do anything.  Except put your drawing in a scale you don't want.

Make sure nothing is selected.  Do a Fit to Objects.  Then draw a marque around one quadrant of the drawing space and see how many objects are selected.  Keep trying different quadrants until you get a bunch of objects.  Then with those selected, Fit to Objects again.

If you want to move the page to that location there is a Move Page tool.  Click and hold the Pan Tool and it will appear as a little flyout.

But beware.  If you draw 3d objects that are several miles from the drawing 0,0 the wheels can fall off the renderworks textures.  Better off referencing the site dwg in as a DLVP.  That way you avoid polluting your drawing with the referenced drawings classes.

• Like 1

i would highly recommend NOT moving the page but rather just copy all the objects and move or paste them to your default page.  

There will most likely be hell to pay if you don't do this because it messes with your 0/0 page origin. This always happens, btw,

when you import a dwg file.

I would also counsel you to import the dwg into a blank VW file....modify any classes, etc, 

THEN copy and paste that into whatever file you are working on. Hopefully this makes sense. I create many 3d site models

for my Clients from dwg survey files and it is always the case where the data comes in about 10 miles from where you want it  🙂

• Like 2