Finding objects with burried or mystery classes

This has annoyed me before, but never enough to post, but now I have a clear example I can talk about.

Please see attached file for reference.

This became apparent when I copied a symbol from a drawing I was working in, into a new blank file and a grey out class appeared.

For sure I thought that one of the sub objects that made up my symbol had this class, and I needed to find it, and update the original symbol to prevent any future issues.

And down the rabbit hole I went.

What you see here is a Table symbol pulled from a VW stock symbol file from banquet tables.

It normally only had 1 class associated with it: Table-Cloth 1

When you open file you can see there's another set of classes, and these are part of a file I'm working on.

If you delete the offending class it asks if you want to reassign the objects, or delete them.

If you delete said object nothing obvious happens.

To go deeper down the hole I broke the symbol apart. It's only made up a 3 pieces. a 3D generic solid, a 2d circle, and a 2d polygon, all of which have the Table-Cloth1 class.

If you import or copy, and paste these individual objects into a new drawing the new offending class does not appear. If you import, or copy and paste the symbol the offending class does.

So!

I'm sure this has something to do with the record associated with the symbol, but I can't find anything I can click on that would have a class associated with it.

What hidden object has the offending class?

How do you find an object that has a class hidden in it?

This would be useful to know for future projects, and this one is a handy file since it's so simple.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

-mickey

class test.vwx

Hi Mickey, I had a quick look and unfortunately I'm as confused by this as you are. Everything you say is correct. I ran a worksheet on the file that searches for all objects in a specified class and it confirms that there are no objects in the file with that class.

Maybe some vw expert can shed some light on this? All that said though it seems harmless and deleting the class doesn't seem to impact on the file at all.

image.thumb.png.47acae765aaae74634c52617574b7d3f.png

Thanks Boh,

I did some similar searches, and indeed just killed those classes.

For this particular file it's not a big deal, but I have had some issues in the past with mystery classes, and didn't have the time to figure it out.

Since this file was so simple I thought it would be interesting to delve deeper.

• Like 1