Symbols Not Scaling with Viewport

jg@swcm

Question

I'm stumped here but this is probably an easy fix where I just have to tick a box like usual...

I have some paver symbols that are in my design layer which is at 1/8"=1'-0". When I make a sheet layer viewport of them at a viewport scale of 1/8"=1'-0", the symbols look correct. When I increase the viewport scale to 1"=1'-0", the symbols stay the same size as they were in a 1/8"=1'-0" viewport, essentially appearing 4x too small in my 1"=1'-0" viewport.

How do I remedy this??

4 answers to this question

Page Based symbols are designed to always display at the same size on a page. So if you have a drawing label of some type, it will display the same size on a page at 1:1 scale as on a page at 1:20 scale.

World based symbols adjust based on the scale of the layer they are on to always be the same "drawing world" scale. So if you have a toilet to proper scale it will display properly in both the 1:1 and 1:20 scale and look much larger in the 1:1 layer.

It is likely that you clicked the Page-Based radio button when you created the symbol.

You can right click on the symbol in the drawing and choose Locate Symbol in Resource Manager. Then go to the Resource Manager, and right click on the symbol definition and choose Edit Symbol Options. From there you can change the symbol from Page to World (or visa versa).  You might want to try in a test file first to figure out what scale you want to be in when you make the change to get it to work right for you.

• Like 1

.....possibly.

Black symbols are scaleable, Green Symbols are page-based symbols and as a rule of thumb, should only ever be used when drawing at 1:1 on a sheet layer. All green reosources in Vectorworks are non-scaling. This means that what you see on the screen in front of you is what you will see in real life when the object is placed on paper/screen. This means that a green symbol in a scaled viewport will probably look much smaller because it hase been scaled down by the viewport....

Its a bit of a minefield I'm afraid, but when you get the hang of it, it makes perfect sense. Its also all about what scale you draw in on the design layer, which is quite a contentious issue here and elsewhere!

There is some info in the help about green symbols and there are quite a few videos online about dealing with symbols.

However, what has probably happened in your case is that you have clicked on the Page-based option when you made the symbols.

Screenshot 2019-07-12 at 16.26.17.png