Disappearing symbols geometry in HSVP (after SP4 update)

drelARCH

Question

13 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Pavol,

I took a quick look and see the issue as well. I also tried copying the symbol instance into a new file, created a horizontal section, and it displayed as expected. We will investigate this further to see what's going on with the file and I'll get back to you.

• Like 1

Just a quick update on this for anyone else wondering about this:

I believe I tracked down what the problem is. Well, the actual problem seems to be a few interrelated bugs that make it a very hard problem to troubleshoot.

The root of the issue is that polylines are not being dealt with properly in sections causing them to not display.

Try these steps:

NOTE: Before doing this, you may want to import any symbols you do this to into an empty file and save it, so you have the originals.

1. Edit the 2D component of a symbol with the issue.
  2. Use the Select Similar (magic wand) tool to select by object type and click on a polyline
  3. Use the Convert to Polygon command.
  4. Exit the symbol.

Now the symbol should display.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

I believe I tracked down what the problem is. Well, the actual problem seems to be a few interrelated bugs that make it a very hard problem to troubleshoot.

The root of the issue is that polylines are not being dealt with properly in sections causing them to not display.

Matt, I've had issues with extrudes made from polylines not displaying correctly in section. When I converted the resulting extrude to a generic solid, the issue was resolved. Not sure if its related or not. There is a bug submission with an accompanying file that I submitted under my name if its helpful.

Kevin

3 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Matt, I've had issues with extrudes made from polylines not displaying correctly in section. When I converted the resulting extrude to a generic solid, the issue was resolved. Not sure if its related or not. There is a bug submission with an accompanying file that I submitted under my name if its helpful.

Thanks Kevin. I'll take a look.

... there is another similar issue I am encountering. While rotation of doors/windows has been fixed with SP4 there is some missing geometry in horizontal section VP. (if I remember well it was there in SP3 and earlier version too). While in floor plan (where cutting plane runs directly through objects) is everything OK in horizontal section VP in section taken above openings some parts are missing....(now guessing those parts are polyline as well...) I has checked all the classes but everything is on and consistent throughout VPs.

Pavol

image001.png

image002.png

My symbols disappear when using a floating pane, which I love using having 2 monitors. Even after closing the floating pane they stay gone. I can not even select them or see any grab handles. The symbol even disappears from the Resource Manager. When I try to bring the same symbol back into the file, it ask if I want to replace it, so it is still there. The only way I can get them back is to close VW & restart it, this is with out restarting the computer. Then they are all back. Due to this I quit using the floating pane, which sucks, it is really nice to have the other view as reference & to be able to edit on the fly.