Sheet layer orientation and Title block arrangements

Hi all,

Would like to know if there are people here that have different ways of doing this as the way i'm doing it it just takes so much time and if there isn't any other way of doing it i think this should then be improved.

Let's separate this by starting with Sheets

How do you change from Landscape to Portrait ? 

My way of doing it is - Going to sheet settings - Page setup - and put the dimensions of the same page but the other way around to give me the portrait look - I'm still wondering why there isn't a button like WORD has to click from Landscape to portrait.

Title block - Scaling and adjusting 

Landscape - When i change sheet size from A1 (mostly used by my office) to A3 or even A4 (for some specific things) the title block adjusts but it doesn't scale without me going to the Title block settings and scale it myself manually.

Portrait - When i change the sheet layer to portrait - then the title block has a portrait option (as sheets should also have) and it adjusts but is there a way of making it stretch to fit properly without creating a new title block to be used only in portrait mode?

Title block we use is Vertical and not Horizontal on the bottom of the page so we have a top space that we have to manually adjust to portrait mode to occupy the whole right hand side of the page.

Both sheet Pictures are A1 format

I'm sure Page setup should have similar button as Titleblock OIP

Sheet and title block landscape.jpg

Sheet and title block Portrait.jpg

Titleblock OIP.jpg

Vectorworks page setup.jpg

• Like 1

You can pick a Size with the appropriate dimensions from the Page Setup dialog box.

Or if you click the Printer Setup button, you can then choose the paper size and orientation from there. But that works best if you have a printer that supports the final paper size you want to output on. If you send your plots out, it is less useful.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

You can pick a Size with the appropriate dimensions from the Page Setup dialog box.

Or if you click the Printer Setup button, you can then choose the paper size and orientation from there. But that works best if you have a printer that supports the final paper size you want to output on. If you send your plots out, it is less useful.

We have a plotter and even doing what you say it's not working as it should work... and we usually select from the drop down menu the Sheet size but in there, there isn't a portrait option, when i go to the printer and press the portrait in the settings it also doesn't change on the sheet.

12 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Can you set a custom paper size in the Printer Setup dialog box for your plotter?  Set the custom paper size to be the portrait dimensions and then use One Printer Page in the Size: drop drop menu.

That is a good option as you only should need to setup once and should do the trick but still why haven't they added the option straight away from the software...

That is another thing how do you print from vectorworks directly as we have been finding the way it prints makes awkward changes to the scale of the drawings and we've been finding it better to publish into PDFs and then print them, but from the vectorworks directly it just comes with strange scale variations, is there a way of doing this better from the software?

Changes to the scale sounds like it is an option in your printer driver to fit to the page. You probably need to set the paper size to match the actual printable area of your plotter. If your plotter needs 10mm margins all the way around (an exaggeration), then rather than 594 × 841 (A1) paper you would specify a drawing size of 574 x 821. Then you should be able to get an unscaled version.

As to why they have not added it directly to VW is probably because there are so many 3rd party options for printers/plotter, drivers, and operating systems that all do things somewhat differently that there is not way to come up with a solution that will satisfy most (not even close to all) people.

Once you get it set once for your needs you should be set to go.