Titleblock border disappears

K MAC

Question

Been noticing a problem with my title block borders in VW 2019 SP4 (running on mac os x 10.14.5).

Occasionally my title blocks completely disappear, though it does highlight when I mouse over their location.  Double clicking and closing the dialog box brings the border and title block back.

Any ideas?

Edited by K MAC

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello all,

We have received other reports about that and we are looking into it, but we do not have the certain steps to reproduce it. Does anyone have steps that reproduce this 100% of the time? Also, is this happening with other objects too or only TBB?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

We have received other reports about that and we are looking into it, but we do not have the certain steps to reproduce it. Does anyone have steps that reproduce this 100% of the time?

Not yet. It happens in lots of different files for me. After working for a while in the sheet layers I notice they've disappeared. Usually after updating a lot of viewports but not always. Perhaps it related to a navigation action rather than a drawing action.

8 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Also, is this happening with other objects too or only TBB?

Almost always TBB only.

Kevin

• Like 1

Hi, 

I have been able to reproduce this by placing an instance of a saved Title Block Border on a Sheet Layer, then editing the saved Style for an extended period - maybe twenty minutes or so. 

Eventually, the Title Block always disappears from the Title Block Border. Only the Sheet Border remains.

I can still access the Title Block by editing the saved Title Block Border Style - it just disappears from the placed instance. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @JAC71,

I will write here so that others that might be having the same problem could follow the discussion.

In your file you have edited the TBB Style and made the TBB graphics to be By Instance. This means that each of the TBB objects using that style will not be using its Title Block graphics. When you create new TBB using that style and the TBB Tool, it is simply not getting the Title Block graphics as it is not set to By Style.

So, if you edit the style and click on the button left from Title Block Graphics in the Title Block pane you will see that the Title Block will appear in all objects using that style.

My assumption of it disappearing is that at some point you have made the graphics to be By Instance by editing the style and then you have started placing the TBB instances. If you have placed the TBB instances while the graphics were By Style, they would not have changed when you have made the graphics By Instance.

Hopefully this solves your issue 🙂 . Let me know if you still have any issues with the TBB.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi Nikolay, 

This does seem to solve the issue - but the TB in that TBB style has been set to By Instance since I defined the style, several files ago. I haven't been switching the TB between By Style and By Instance in the style (or in the instance on the sheet for that matter). 

When using the TBB tool to insert an instance of the TBB style, the TB would initially be present and operating normally. Then, once I edit the TB within the TBB style a handful of times, the TB seems to disappear apropos of nothing. My edits are all occurring in the graphics and type of the TB itself, not with any By Instance or By Style buttons. 

I realize that this is not the normal workflow - usually the TBB instance would be placed in a drawing, and one would edit the instance, instead of the style. 

I've been developing this TBB style and learning how this all works, so I've been doing a lot of fiddling about as I learn. 🙂