Dual Dims.

Is there a way to edit the dimension tool to ?stack? a single dimension values? In other words can I show the value of feet above the dimension line & the inches & fraction of inches below the dimension line? I attempted an edit but the best I could get was the total value above in feet, and the total value in inches below. The reason I want to do this is to save space so values are more clear (i.e. not smashing into one another).

quote:

Originally posted by Tropics North:

can I show the value of feet above the dimension line & the inches & fraction of inches below the dimension line?

I think I would try adding another dimension object above (or below) the first and then turn off the leader lines in the new object, thus showing only the dimension text.

But, I'm new at this.

Thanks for the reply but I guess I did not clearly state what I need to do. In some cases dimension values get very messy and unclear because the dims. are so close together. This is more a question when using Imperial dims like 16's &32's. To resolve this I would like to "split" the dimension similar to a stacked dimensions. What I would like to see is the number of feet above the line, & the inches & fractions of inches below the line. From my experiments I don't think it can be done as a custom dim. (even if it is stacked) a stacked dimension will demension the whole value not the "remainder". (BTW I use this function all the time with survey info on site plans to reflect the the survey info from an old survey in Imperial & a conversion in Metric.)

Tropics, depending on how important your goal is, there is the option of deselecting the show dim value and just using text. I have to admit though I've never seen dims laid out the way you want, are you sure the end users will understand? Typically I use a leader coming off the line to pull tight numbers to a better location (ACAD allows you to just grab the number and automatically creates a leader, keeping the dim live). There are extensive posts on dims in the wish list.

[ 05-11-2005, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Delmer ]

quote:

Originally posted by islandmon:

Try goto menu>File>Document Preferences > Dimensions>ASME Dual Stacked>create New Dimension >edit dual stack, as required.

You might prove me wrong, but from what I remember the stacked dimensions only provide two versions of the same measure, I don't think you can split one number up with whole on top and fraction on the bottom.