vectorworks 2019 not installing

Hi all

I also updated High Sierra and started the installation via Terminal and this is the report I am getting. 

/Volumes/Vectorworks2019-SP4-490894-OZ-eng-SeriesBEG-installer4-osx/Vectorworks\

2019\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Vectorworks\ 2019\ Installer ; exit;

ueli02:~ uelischmied$ /Volumes/Vectorworks2019-SP4-490894-OZ-eng-SeriesBEG-insta

ller4-osx/Vectorworks\ 2019\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Vectorworks\ 2019\ Ins

taller ; exit;

2019-07-10 19:21:36.624 Vectorworks 2019 Installer[704:16067] *** WARNING: Textu

red window <AtomNSWindow: 0x7fefccc6ba80> is getting an implicitly transparent t

itlebar. This will break when linking against newer SDKs. Use NSWindow's -titleb

arAppearsTransparent=YES instead.

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Process completed]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Just to follow up - Julian and I were able to solve ueli's issues with installing.

Sometimes on macOS the "sudo" command breaks (I'm not sure how, but it's unrelated to installing Vectorworks). Our installer requires this tool to work. The installer tests for this now, and if it's broken will give an error message rather than doing a partial install.

You can test this by typing "sudo echo hello" in terminal. If it says something like "sudoers is world writable" then your system has this problem. If it asks for a password and echos the text "hello" back at you, it's working. There are some less common states where sudoers.d or other related objects may have improper permissions, but this is less common (this is also what "repair permissions" used to fix, but it seems like Apple has removed that functionality from diskutil in recent releases of macOS)

To fix sudo, we used finder to set permissions of the file /etc/sudoers to read-only. Once sudo is working, installation can proceed.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

Hi, 

I am having a similar problem, however the solution suggested above doesn't appear to work for me. I believe this is due to a fault in my sudoer file, but I'm not computer expert! 

When typing 'sudo echo hello' into terminal I receive the following message: 

sudo: /etc/sudoers is owned by uid 501, should be 0

sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin

-bash-3.2$

Please can you help me?!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @semayer,

This is a more difficult problem, but I can hopefully help. Unfortunately Finder doesn't seem to have a good way to fix this so you will have to use Recovery Mode, Disk Utility, and Terminal for some of it. This should be considered an advanced procedure. Please do not attempt if it is above your comfort level. 

1) Make sure your back-ups are in order (good advice regardless) in case things go horribly wrong.

2) Reboot the machine and hold command + R to enter recovery mode. See here for an overview of macOS recovery mode.

3) Inside recovery mode, start disk utility

4) Mount your main drive. Usually it's called Macintosh HD. You may need to supply your password if it's encrypted. When done it should say Mount Point: /Volumes/Macintosh HD (or similar).

5) Exit out of Disk Utility. 

6) Back in the main menu of recovery mode, in the top menu bar, select Utilities->Terminal

7) In Terminal, enter: chown root /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/etc/sudoers

8 ) In Terminal, enter ls -l /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/etc/ | grep sudoers

It should look like this:

image.png

(paying attention to the first line - where it says -r--r--r-- 1 root wheel <a number> <a date> sudoers) Ignore the "sudoers.d" line.

Note that if your drive is called something besides "Macintosh HD" you will have to substitute your drive's name here when necessary.

9) If it doesn't say -r--r--r-- you may want to save yourself trouble and type: chmod 444  /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/etc/sudoers

10) exit terminal and recovery mode and reboot as normal.

This should fix that immediate problem, but you'll have to let us know how it goes and if there are additional problems that show up after that.

Best regards,

Tim