Origin (centre point) for plant symbols

phin

Hi,

Could someone please explain to me how the origin/axes work when you create new plant symbols?

I'm with a group studying Vectorworks, and we create plants by drawing a circle on the page and, with it selected, going to Landmark > Create New Plant.

When it comes to placing these plants, sometimes they work fine but occasionally they go off the screen somewhere and you then have to find them, double click to edit the graphics and move the circle to the origin point.

Exactly what is it that causes this problem? 

Thanks.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

Creating plants isn't like conventional symbols - there is no option for setting the insertion point, unless I am missing something?

We are drawing circles, then going to Landmark > Create New Plant (or Create Plant Style From Selection in VW2019).

P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/22/2019 at 4:11 PM, Tamsin Slatter said:

Is there anything else accidentally selected when the user creates the plant?

I don't think so! It's strange - sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.

On 8/14/2019 at 12:49 PM, JanH said:

Hi - I have the same problem - did you ever find a solution to this @phin?

No! Next time I will keep a close eye and see if I can repeat it though...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Check your origin when creating the plant. If your X,Y is not at zero that will be an issue as the plant symbol graphics are placing due to its designed origin. this can happen if your site is far off from zero. I have seen this happen a couple of times. just go to the plant symbol graphics and move the graphic by selecting all the graphics group and in the OIP set x,y to 0,0.

Also when placing plants ensure you are not in a rotated plan view. Top plan is the best plant placement option.

• Like 2