Extrudes are suddenly locked on creation

jarjones

Question

I'm making some windows for a theatrical set and doing lots of chamfering of extruded rectangles, pretty simple.  Suddenly, all the extrudes I create are showing up as locked when I try to chamfer them.  Unlocking the extrude objects has no effect.  I reset the preferences, which also has had no effect.  It has also locked objects that were already chamfered; if I ungroup them and remove the chamfer, I cannot select an edge to chamfer because it is locked.  I'm on VW 2018 on Mac Mojave.  Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?  It's ground me to a halt.

Thanks,

Jeff A.R. Jones

problem windows.vwx

Edited by jarjones

7 answers to this question

Hi Jeff,

Things seem to be behaving as expected when I open the file in my version of Vectorworks. Unfortunately I'm using VW2019 so that may not mean much. I would try copying and pasting the problem geometry into a new file and testing there. If it works then you could try copy/pasting it back into your original file and see if things resolve themselves.

Kevin

Did anyone perhaps find a solution to Jeff's 'bug'? I've just had the same thing happen to me. Once it happens in a file, I find it sticks and haven't found a way to drag it to unstuck! I open another file, even during the same session, and fillets/chamfers work. But not on the stuck file. It seems likely there's a setting (did I mistakenly press the wrong combination of keys?) that can be triggered to lock all extrudes. Any help would be wonderful!

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Did anyone perhaps find a solution to Jeff's 'bug'? I've just had the same thing happen to me. Once it happens in a file, I find it sticks and haven't found a way to drag it to unstuck! I open another file, even during the same session, and fillets/chamfers work. But not on the stuck file. It seems likely there's a setting (did I mistakenly press the wrong combination of keys?) that can be triggered to lock all extrudes. Any help would be wonderful!

Have you tried using cut/paste to move the object to a clean file, fillet/chamfering it there and then using cut/paste to move it back into your original file? It might be a possible workaround.

Kevin

• Like 1

In my case, it wasn't working because the chamfer was too big for the item.  The fillet value was reverting to a previously typed size when I switched tools and I wasn't catching that.  When I'm working with fillets and chamfers, the OIP still says they're locked, but they work fine unless the values can't be computed fos some reason (tight curves, multiple intersections, etc.)  I also updated to 2019, which has run better than any version to date.

Exact same problem.  I have some pretty simple solids and some edges can be chamfered and some can't. Object info palette shows "Solid Subtraction" when my object is selected.  When I click on certain edges with the chamfer tool, that changes to "Solid Subtraction - Locked" 

HOWEVER some edges can still be chamfered while the palette shows "Solid Subtraction - Locked" so I'm not sure the problem is with being locked.

I have tried copy & pasting to new file and that has no effect.

HELP!

I think I may have  figured out one way this happens.

I created a CSG solid consisting of three extruded arcs that touched at the radius center point.  Think nuclear radiation symbol with the swept arcs extending all the way to the center. Pie wedges.

Then I subtracted that shape from another CSG solid.  The resulting shape would not let me chamfer any edges that belonged to the hole left by the 'nuclear' shape.  I then rebuilt the 'nuclear' shape shaving off the tip of the pie wedges then subtracted from the CSG solid.  Chamfers worked. 

Then I tried the same thing with three cubes.  A big cube and two smaller ones.  I positioned the smaller cubes to touch at a corner and then subtracted them from the larger cube.  Could not chamfer.

So CSG solids containing geometry that touch a point (along an edge in 3D) may not be chamfer-able.

• Like 1

I'm experiencing this exact same issue. I'm trying to do a simple Taper Face on a plain rectangular 3D solid. Some faces can be tapered normally, but others -- in this case, the face I want to taper -- cannot. The OIP shows Extrude - Locked. I've tried Unlocking the object multiple ways, to no avail. I think this must be some kind of bug because I never had this problem tapering any face of a simple rectangular solid in the past.

I'm using VW2021 SP4.1 under OS X 10.14.6.