Landscape area challenges

I seem to be having a challenge using/creating landscape areas within a specific file. If I draw a polyline or directly draw a landscape area I get a very distorted shape that is not close to what I'm after.

If I create the shape/convert to a landscape area in a new blank file it works fine, as soon as I copy and paste this into my working drawing I get the same distortion.

Not seen this before but hoping I can sort this out.

LA11.png

LA12.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @J. Wallace,

Out of curiousity, I wanted to see if this was related to design layer scales—it seems like it is. The larger your Layer Scale is set (i.e. 1"=50'-0"), the less definition you get. See attached image for example of 3 different layer scales of the same landscape area with the same border style settings. I'm curious if this is new to 2019 and if so I can report a bug but in the meantime, I hope this helps!

-Tony

Landscape Area Border Style Settings.png

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tony Kostreski said:

Hi @J. Wallace,

Out of curiousity, I wanted to see if this was related to design layer scales—it seems like it is. The larger your Layer Scale is set (i.e. 1"=50'-0"), the less definition you get. See attached image for example of 3 different layer scales of the same landscape area with the same border style settings. I'm curious if this is new to 2019 and if so I can report a bug but in the meantime, I hope this helps! 

-Tony 

Landscape Area Border Style Settings.png

Good point @Tony Kostreski it's a bit opposite in my situation. The plant cloud which is working was produced in a 1:96 scale, this distorted version is coming from a layer that is 1:2500.  

• 3 weeks later...

Simply set your design layer to 1/8" and leave it there. I have found this scale work very well for small and very large sites, accommodates the graphics I want and moves all to VP's very well.

Layer scale is something I see many people having issues with. I have worked in the industry and trained many people and have found that a 1/4 or 1/8 scale tends to work best for most everything. when starting out in VW use one of those and things will work great. Key is to stick with a scale. It is the content change from one scale to another from drawing to drawing where most people get hung up. 

I should also clarify this practice is best when starting out. As you become more versed in the nuances of VW, then feel free to modify scale all you want. 

The best practice I found is decide what is the most prominent scale you will be outputting (not details or closeups) just primary VP's if it is say 1/8 then set your design layer scale to 1/8. If you have an occasional 1/4 or 1/2 that is fine as the scales are close. The big problem lies in major scale swings. for instance I had an individual drawing everything 1:1 and outputting at 1:1800 everything was a muddy mess.

Hope this clarifies a bit.