Domestic sloped site. Best Workflow for 3D?

Hi there, 

I just joined a new practice and moved from years of small, flat gardens (very easy to manipulate in 3D!) to bigger, sloped domestic sites and I am trying to find the best workflow to work into 3D.

I do have 2D + 3D surveys and 2D proposed plans. Now, what would be for you the best way to move into 3D? 

Perhaps adjust manually the 3D survey to model the land and then extrude from the 2D until they meet? I guess there is a best option and would love to hear about your workflow. 

Thank you !

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @NoemiM--

If you have the ability to get 3D surveys, the best thing to do (in my opinion) is to start by creating a site model. 3D loci (points) and 3D polygons can both be used as source data to Create Site Model. This command can be found under the Landmark dropdown menu>Create Site Model>Site Model From Source Data...Plants will automatically recognize the Site Model and land on the surface of the site model when drawing in top/plan view. For all other objects, you can use the Send to Surface command. You can either right-click the desired object>send to the surface or go to the Landmark dropdown menu>send to surface. NOTE: 2D objects (i.e. rectangles and polylines) when sent to the surface will convert to a 3D Polygon. This is useful when you start getting into site modifiers—another topic.

I would refer back to the Getting Started Guides and watch the Site Model videos. 

Please keep the dialog going. I'm curious to hear about other workflows.

• Like 1
On 7/9/2019 at 7:29 AM, NoemiM said:

Hi there, 

I just joined a new practice and moved from years of small, flat gardens (very easy to manipulate in 3D!) to bigger, sloped domestic sites and I am trying to find the best workflow to work into 3D.

I do have 2D + 3D surveys and 2D proposed plans. Now, what would be for you the best way to move into 3D? 

Perhaps adjust manually the 3D survey to model the land and then extrude from the 2D until they meet? I guess there is a best option and would love to hear about your workflow. 

Thank you !

I wouldn’t adjust the survey, it is indicative of the existing condition.  What you do is add proposed countours to the VW site model made from the survey.  This then gives you cut and fill.  The guides will clarify this.  Good luck, it’s easy when you follow the guide.