Question

Hi! I'm trying to print out some construction drawings on A3 paper at home. I have tried all the various combinations of set up changes (I think) and I can still not get it to be in scale when printed and with the border/title block not cut off. I have a range of options to choose from in my printer settings (so not the printable area settings in Vectorworks)...these are A3 with a small margin, A3 plain paper, A3 brochure or A3 borderless. I have then set the Vectorworks printer set up to one printer page which defaults to 409.9x286.8mm in size. Can anyone help me please? Which is the magic combination? And so I have the correct boxes checked (see print screen shot). Thank you!

Screenshot 2019-07-09 at 12.05.14.png

Screenshot 2019-07-09 at 12.07.07.png

Screenshot 2019-07-09 at 12.06.46.png

25 answers to this question

Ok, I have never used drop box or google drive but could give it a go....Firstly though, I don't think I've done what you've said about the title block....What are the stages to do that? where do I find Sheet Size?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What version of VW are you using? If it is above VW 2018, then you are probably working with Title Block Border objects. If so, select the TBB, in the OIP from the Sheet Size popup select Fit To Printable area and your Title Block should automatically be fitting to your printable area and not be cut when printing.

I have an up today version. It's an educational version of Landmark.

See screen shot in the Title Block Preferences...It's my own Title Block I've crated and now has the fit to printable page option greyed out...

Screenshot 2019-07-09 at 13.10.36.png

This is because it is using an object style. I suggest you read the help for the Title Block by clicking F1 while the preferences dialog is opened, so that you get to know with the object.

It would be easier to help you if you could make a simple test file showing the issue and send it to me.

1 minute ago, KVW said:

Am trying to share the file via Drop Box. Do I need to create a link to it since I can't email it to you? Just trying to figure out how to do that as I've never done it before...

Yes, you could get a shareble link of the uploaded file from dropbox.

I am able to print correctly here, using A4 printer size.

Before printing, try opening File->Page Setup and from there select your printer, printer size and make sure that the page is using One Printer Page size.

If this does not fix your problem, you could first export to PDF and then try to print the pdf.

Let me know about the result. 🙂

Hi, The first option was what I was already doing. I tried it again and the result is the same, the border slightly cut off on the right hand side as per the photo I sent you.

So tried doing it as a pdf and an A4 size drawing came out on an A3 size pice of paper but again with the right hadn't side slightly cut off. There is something, somewhere that's not set up right!! Can you think what it might be??

13 minutes ago, KVW said:

The Drawing Area in the Document Set Up is ISO A3...

- Yes, but it includes the margins that you have set.

You could edit the Title Block Border style and make it have wider right margin. This might compensate the issue for a workaround. However, I am not sure what could be causing your issue.

Now I have noticed that the margins in the file you sent me are not the same as these in the picture from your comments, but are bigger on the left and right. Here is the result that I get when I export to pdf:

test.pdf

Did you try resetting your page size from Page Setup, but not from the print dialog, from File->Page Setup?

My pdf looks like your on screen but when the problem is it doesn't come out as it appears on screen. Yes, I have adjusted the Page Setup from going to File>Page Setup and not just within the print dialog...If you look back at my first post on this conversation with the different screen shots of what I'm seeing for my Page Setup and Printer Settings....does this help you help me??!

Edited by KVW

The other thing is that if I adjust the title block to get around the problem of it not being cut-off, it still doesn't solve the problem of it printing out not to scale...The wall is 1m high on the screen at 1:20 but when printed is just over 1 metre.....help! And I haven't adjusted any of the Scale % options!!

Good Morning,

So I have found the solution! It was something on my printer, as you said. Although the paper was set to A3 as the default, when I created the PDF I then went in to the size options on the print page from there and it was showing as A4!! So a quick change to A£ and it has now printed beautifully and most importantly, to scale!!

Thanks so much for all your help yesterday and bearing with me to the end! 

• Like 1

Hi all,

I'm having similar issues with printing from Vectorworks but mine are i send the file from vectorworks and it seems vectorworks when sends it to the plotter shrinks the drawing. What am i doing wrong?

Sheet screen shot is how it shows and how i've created the sheet to be, which are two A1's landscaped on top of each other. (as the plotter has a roll in it)

What options should i choose or do to make this thing work as of now i only get prints like the photo and this is literally killing my head around.

Print Setup.jpg

Printer setup.jpg

Sheet.jpg

plot.jpg

Another thing to check, given the 1.4 pages in the dialog, is the paper orientation that your printer is using. I.e. the portrait orientation of your printer could be 90 degrees rotated relative to the portrait setting in VW, which could explain the 1.4 pages as that is the size factor for A size papers. In that case setting the layout in VW to match the printer's orientation could solve the issue.