Resources Browser -Sharing in the cloud

I have a customised resources library saved as Jeremy's Resources. As I use VW1019 Landmark on two computers I have uploaded this to the cloud so that it is available on whichever computer I am using. The file size is 225Mb. I tried to save this on VW Cloud Services but the upload was so slow that it never happened. Am now using Dropbox but even this is incredibly slow to upload any changes. Even if I add just one new plant to the resources file the whole file has to be uploaded allover again which can take up at least one hour.

Is there a better way to share a current My Resources file?

I’m interested in this too. We use one very large library file for everything located just on our server and it can be slow to access. I’m wondering if we should set up a workgroup folders where we can break up the resources in our one large library file into a bunch of much smaller resource files. One for textured, one for hateches, one for plants etc this does seem the way Vectorworks is ‘supposed’ to work. 

I imagine this would speed things up considerably and should work just as well using a Dropbox location

the down side of course is losing the convenience of having a one stop shop for resources and only one file to manage. 

Perhaps others have better ideas. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A Workgroup Folder, which replicates the structure of the User Folder is the way to go. Store different library items under the relevant Object Styles folder to have those items show up directly where you want to use them - for example files containing Plants go into a file in the Object Styles/Plant folder.

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2019/eng/index.htm#t=VW2019_Guide%2FWorkgroup%2FSharing_Custom_Content_Using_Workgroup_Folders.htm&rhsearch=workgroup folder&rhhlterm=workgroup folder&rhsyns=

OK, I have tried this but cannot get my new workgroup folders to show up in Resource Browser.

I have set the user folder location to the parent folder. Path is /VW Workgroup folder/Libraries/Object Styles/Plants. I have both refreshed libraries and re-started VW but to no effect.

What am I doing wrong?

OK, I have tried this but cannot get my new workgroup folders to show up in Resource Browser.

I have set the user folder location to the parent folder. Path is /VW Workgroup folder/Libraries/Object Styles/Plants. I have both refreshed libraries and re-started VW but to no effect.

Further to the above it seems that the subfolders will only appear if they have content. So next question is how do I add content?

I have only used a My Resources folder in Favourites, to which I can add new content by opening the Jeremy's Resources file. How do I add content to a Work Group/Libraries subfolder?

Edited by jeremyb

In vw preferences make sure your folder location is correct. The last folder name in the address should be the folder that contains the “Libraries” folder. 

In your case it should end with the “VW Workgroup folder”

To add content to a workgroup folder the easiest way I guess is to copy the folders of your user folder into the equivalent location of your workgroup folder. Remove any content from your user folders that you don’t want shared in your workgroup. 

With user data folders I think in the resource manager you can simply drop a resource into an empty libraries folder and vw will automatically create a file in that folder which will be accessible as default content. Hope fully that is the case for workgroup folders too

Otherwise you need to create files for each resource. And place it in the appropriate folder. 

Eg a file called “jeremys hatches” with all your hatches placed in: 

“WV Workgroup folder/Libraries|Defaults/Hatches. 

Im not on my computer so can’t verify all that but pretty sure that’s how it works. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, jeremyb said:

Additionally  - I have only used a My Resources folder in Favourites, to which I can add new content by opening the Jeremy's Resources file. How do I add content to a Work Group/Libraries subfolder?

Boh - thanks to your help I have now managed to make this work, by creating a new file, importing the required resources and saving the file in the Workgroup folder on Dropbox.

I couldn't have done this without your and Tamsin's help so big thanks to you both.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 11:20 PM, Tamsin Slatter said:

. Store different library items under the relevant Object Styles folder to have those items show up directly where you want to use them -

Hey @Tamsin Slatter

Do you know if Title Block Border Styles can be shared in workgroups if placed in the correct object styles folder?

i can’t seem to get my custom TB border styles to show up from a workgroup folder when I select the. TB Border tool? Odd as other content seems to be available.

Im new to object styles and TB Borders so maybe im missing something.

Edit: I have created a seperate string for this topic:

Edited by Boh