Selection tool changes layers to Aerial

Rossford

Question

I am not new at this, but on a Sunday afternoon, after a start and stop, VW keeps throwing me back to the aerial layer (which I want to keep on as it is useful base info for drawing on my grading layer)

The Aerial layer is at the bottom of the hierarchy, I have show layers but not show/snap or show/snap/modify on for the aerial.  Yet, when trying to select my 1 or 5 foot contour class on the Proposed Grading layer, it won't select, and it always grabs the aerial layer below, sometimes within a colored viewport edit box that shows "exit bitmap crop".  

Must be missing something real simple, or the file was set up differently than I am used to be the engineer?

Quick tip for selection of only my layer and class appreciated.

2 answers to this question

Show/Snap and Show/Snap/Modify are set for all visible layers, not for a specific layer, so if you are trying to select objected that are note on the Active Layer, you have the possibility to select the bitmap aerial.

Either switch to Show/Snap and switch the active layer to the one with your contours or be more careful and make sure you have the Pre-Selection highlighting turned on and that you are actually clicking on the contours.

You might also try locking the bitmap aerial so you don't accidentally move or edit it.