Worksheets Total

markdd

Question

6 answers to this question

Total guess here, but based on the Left alignment of the numbers in column E and the count in the header row of E2=3, it looks like they are formatted at text instead of as numbers. Try changing them to be formatted as numbers (Worksheet Format menu:Cells, Decimal with 0 decimal points).  

The Header Row (E2) should give you the sum of the numbers in the column.  If you want to be able to hide the header row, you can still access that data. Just set E4 to =E2.

• Like 1

That is such a great tip. Thanks.

Should these tools that report numbers which are clearly intended for worksheets, not be formatted as numbers? I think its the same for all the Stage deck tools as well as the Stage Lift tool.

Most grateful as ever

Mark

I certainly think so. I end up answering a question like this almost monthly. There are certainly some benefits to the programmer doing it this way. If they were formatted as a number they would have to deal with what to do when someone changed that number from the worksheet or else the number in the worksheet would be different than what the object requires. This was handled in the Space object by adding a second field that had the numeric version as well as the canonical text version. If the numeric version was changed it would just reset back to match the text version the next time the object was reset.