Export to DWG from VW

Hello professionals~

Here is my current situation,

Design layer 1 : 1 truss and Lighting symbols.

Design layer 2 : duplicated from Design layer 1.

Exported to DWG. only 1 design layer is in 3D.The other desing layer is in 2D.

Did I correct to exported to DWG? 

How could I export to DWG for all design layers in 3D at once?

캡처_2019_07_05_14_50_31_163.png

캡처_2019_07_05_14_50_47_970.png

캡처_2019_07_05_14_54_21_707.png

캡처_2019_07_05_14_54_30_372.png

Edited by VW_Harry
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @VW_Harry,

I used Default settings on DWG Export and the result is perfect. I'm using Vectorworks 2019 SP4 (build 490894). I'm attaching the result DWG file plus some screenshots. With yours DWG Export options I get perfest result too.(see cad_test_LayersAsLayers.dwg)

Best regards,

Vasko

cad_test.dwg

cad_test_LayersAsLayers.dwg

Export Options:

image.png

DWG Result opened in AutoCAD:

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Hi @VW_Harry,

One general thing when you want to export 3D graphics - have your active layer before export set to Top view, not to Top/Plan view. If you are using Top/Plan view, you will export 2D views for the hybrid objects.

Using just attached TO_CAD.vwx I was able to see the problem with trusses exported as 2D only even I set the active layer to Top view. Seems this is related to the (sometimes) wrongly passed info to the DWG exporter while we create the objects - we will analyze the case in deep. I will let Vasko @Vasil Kitanov know about this.

There is, however, an easy way to avoid this problem - open the document, set the active layer view to Top, then open View menu, uncheck Unified View, then open again View menu and check Unified View. After that export using Default settings and export will be correct (note - you have 2D only graphics in the Venue layer).

image.png

Thank you for reporting and hope the workaround will help you until we fix the problem.

Best regards,

Nina

TO_CAD.zip

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Hi,

I have similar problem. I have many 3d objects in my Vectorworks drawing and some of them aren't exporting at all. For example 3d trees.

I need to deliver the file to the main archtect who is working in Revit. I wanted to export it as .dwg, but the trees are missing and also some layers were misplaced. 

Could you help me please? I am attaching the drawing.

w15_Z01_KA_MWAWA_19122022_KR.vwx

10 hours ago, Katarzyna Kobierska said:

Hi,

I have similar problem. I have many 3d objects in my Vectorworks drawing and some of them aren't exporting at all. For example 3d trees.

I need to deliver the file to the main archtect who is working in Revit. I wanted to export it as .dwg, but the trees are missing and also some layers were misplaced. 

Could you help me please? I am attaching the drawing.

w15_Z01_KA_MWAWA_19122022_KR.vwx 633.23 MB · 2 downloads

I tried exporting your file to DWG, but the tree objects are just crossing planes without any textures. I've never exported 3D Raster Image trees to DWG so I have no idea if this is expected.

I have no idea if any layers were misplaced, but your VWX file is very large and has a bunch of broken links to referenced files, so maybe that's what is missing. Two layers were at a different scale so they were not in the export.

Perhaps someone else on the forum could provide you with more assistance. Good luck.

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 6.34.48 PM.jpg

• Like 1

Hi! Thank you for your response.

All the important layers are in 1:500 scale. Do you see the trees in 2d after the export? Because I don't. I didn't even see them in 3d. How exactly did you export the file? What options and steps did you take? It would be very helpful 🙂

And about the broken links. I attached 3d models of the playground equipment as a referenced files. Firstly I made shuttle files (vectorworks files) of them and then I referenced them to the main drawing and every of them is a different layer. Is it the correct and most efficient way to do it? If not please tell me what is.

In the DWG the trees were exported only as the 3D crossed planes as in the screenshot I posted above. Their 2D textures did not get exported.

• When I opened your file it was in a Rotated Top/Plan view which will not export the 3D objects. 
  • Before Exporting to DWG, I switched to either a Top View (not Top/Plan) or any other 3D Isometric view.
  • For the Export to DWG settings, I believe that I left them all at the default settings.

For the shuttle files question, your workflow sounds correct. But if you want to transmit your main VWX file to anyone (like this Vw User Forum), you would first need to delete the referenced files and import their data into your main VWX file. Then you wouldn’t have any broken references and all the data would be contained in your main VWX file. I recommend doing this on a duplicate of your main working VWX file.

I hope that helps. Post back if you have further questions. Good luck!

52 minutes ago, rDesign said:

When I opened your file it was in a Rotated Top/Plan view which will not export the 3D objects. 

Oh .....

I think Rotated Top Plan is always a hassle ....

I am a bit irritated about from where starting a 3D Export.

I always thought I better should do 3D Exports from a 3D View ...

And I do so since years for my Cinema4D Export/Exchange.

Basically I do same for DWG

But lately a developer advised somewhere to only export 3d

from Top Plan View !?

• Like 1
On 7/15/2019 at 3:26 AM, Nina Ivanova said:

One general thing when you want to export 3D graphics - have your active layer before export set to Top view, not to Top/Plan view. If you are using Top/Plan view, you will export 2D views for the hybrid objects.

@zoomer - I don’t know which developer you were referring to, but the quote above from @Nina Ivanova was what I was basing my advice on.

I think it was on the german Forum.
Looks like a very competent developer and helped a lot on the Forum lately.

For me it looks like he was totally confident that you should export from

Top Plan View which was totally astonishing for me.

AFAIK I did not get an answer to my questioning post ....

It would be great if there was an official statement from VW again.

(I don't do anything than 3D)

I personally did not noticed any difference so far.

I am sure I may have accidentally exported 3D from a Top Plan View

at one point and didn't take the view mode that serious so far.

But would like to know the background and what is really recommended

in VW today.

My 3D DWG exports from VW where mostly OK so far.

OK I hardly miss the Material/RWTexture export and many common

VW geometry gets lost Solid features and exports as loose 3D Faces

and such.

On the other hand, DWG import is nearly lossless in VW.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 9:23 PM, zoomer said:

But lately a developer advised somewhere to only export 3d

from Top Plan View !?

Hi @zoomer, I believe you meant here Top View, not Top/Plan View. You can export 3D graphics from either Top View or any 3D View.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:24 PM, zoomer said:

OK I hardly miss the Material/RWTexture export

I added an enhancement request for this.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:24 PM, zoomer said:

many common

VW geometry gets lost Solid features and exports as loose 3D Faces

and such.

This is a known issue, which is due to the difference in 3D Solids presentation in both Vectorworks and DWG/DXF file formats. On failure to properly match a Vectorworks solid to a DWG/DXF solid, we decompose it to Faces to preserve the graphics and visualization. This is in our list with supported features, which require improvements. 

• Like 2

Thank you very much Nina !

4 minutes ago, Nina Ivanova said:

You can export 3D graphics from either Top View or any 3D View.

That is what I learned and always do.

Thanks for confirmation.

18 minutes ago, Nina Ivanova said:

I added an enhancement request for this. (Material Export to DWG)

😍

This would help my workflow a lot.

18 minutes ago, Nina Ivanova said:

This is a known issue, which is due to the difference in 3D Solids presentation in both Vectorworks and DWG/DXF file formats. On failure to properly match a Vectorworks solid to a DWG/DXF solid, we decompose it to Faces to preserve the graphics and visualization. This is in our list with supported features, which require improvements. 

Great.

Did not expect these differences (in 3D Solids presentation) between ACIS and Parasolid.

I grew up with Microstation (Parasolid) and never saw loss for Solids export to ACIS.

Microstation even had an optional DWG Work Mode to directly work with DWG format

and limited tool features according to Autocad limitations for max compatibility.

I assume you are more thinking about non-Solid PIO geometries (?)

DWG Export from VW got much more lossless for me since Walls are "Solids".

Even Many PIOs like Doors or Windows export reasonably well.

(Except Stairs, Slabs (still ?), Floors, .... but these are mostly Face based from beginning)

Of course it would be great if e.g the Stair Tool would a) produce correct Stair geometry

and b) give useful geometry in exports ....

Basically my main problem with failing Solid export are single (true) Solids in VW,

which contain independent Volumes.

Something you will get e.g. by creating a single Extrude from multiple Rectangles

at a time (in itself a great feature in VW workflow), or when you Boolean Subtraction

cut a Solid by another overlapping Solid into two parts.

- Microstation would automatically create separate Solids from these independent Volumes.

- In Autocad this can also happen in DWG and is valid/ supported. But Autocad has a Tool

to separate these into separate Solids when needed.

- just VW has no such option, (beside duplication and bolean subtraction workaround)

Although these multi Volume Solids work and exists on both sides,

when exported to DWG, such former Solids currently still translate as, pretty useless

loose 3D faces.

And this can even happen to VW great new Solid Walls,

e.g. when you have a corner window spanning from side to side = 2 independent

volumes, on top and bottom.

As the loose Faces aren't grouped or connected in any way,

and in BIM and CAD most often parts are touching each other in a coplanar way,

(imagine a bunch of Walls, mitred connected, maybe touching also Walls from the next Story)

there is now realistic way to a select/separate the correct Faces for stitching.

So I would be very happy with any progress in lossless VW's Solid Export,

no matter if in PIOs or the multi Volume Solids case.