macOS Catalina (10.15) Compatibility

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This article will be kept up to date with any details about the compatibility between Vectorworks and macOS 10.15 Catalina:

Are you testing on Catalina? Please use the comments to give us your feedback or to report issues.

• Like 1
  • JuanP pinned this topic

i am having trouble launching VW2019. App crashes at launch and i go into a Unexpected Crash notification. I  have restarted my comp, completely shut down the comp, tried to launch app from different locations (app folder, sidebar, in package contents) I got it to work once on Wednesday, but cant replicate it again.

any insight?

First thing to try is drag your user folder (look in the VW preferences to confirm the location) to the desktop and restart VW. If that fixes it you can then consider putting back some of the items that you need to determine what was causing the crash.

If the user folder is not the problem, delete the new user folder that was created and put the old one back. Then try the same thing with your preferences file. The location will depend on is you are Mac or Windows.  On Mac it is something like  Your User Name:Library:Preferences:net.nemetschek.vectorworks.2019.plist  I would also drag any other plist files that have Nemetschek and 2019 to the desktop as well. Restart VW and see if that fixes it.

• Like 3
On 8/9/2019 at 7:26 PM, BaxterDawg said:

I’m having issues with my VW Sentinel Dongle installing Mac VW 2019 on Catalina Beta 5. No red light on the dongle.

Are there Sentinel 64 Bit drivers available to support the VW dongle?

Regards

BD

macBook Pro 2019

My guess is they do not have a driver for this OS yet as it is still in Beta. The drivers are all from a 3rd party, Sentinel. Here is a link to the latest Mac driver that I could find: http://sentinelcustomer.safenet-inc.com/DownloadNotice.aspx?dID=8589945156

Joseph,

Of course, I have tried that. They do not work on Mac Catalina, hence my post.

It seems odd this thread is about testing VW on Mac Catalina, but there are no drivers available to support the dongle required to run the software.

How are others testing the software under the Beta program?

10 hours ago, BaxterDawg said:

Joseph,

Of course, I have tried that. They do not work on Mac Catalina, hence my post.

It seems odd this thread is about testing VW on Mac Catalina, but there are no drivers available to support the dongle required to run the software.

How are others testing the software under the Beta program?

Nowadays most serial numbers are without dongle, for example E serial numbers. Therefore the problem that you see does not appear in that case.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just FYI... 2019 SP4 seems to run reasonably well on Catalina beta 6.

My "testing" was not at all methodical or exhaustive.. just opened a copy of a file that I'm currently working on.

Checked some saved views and a number of tools, terrain modeling, roof face, wall tool...

This is an improvement over beta 5, in that version, SP4 sometimes would crash on launch, OpenGL was not functional, with views

not re-drawing when changing view etc...

This testing is just for fun, in that it would be nice to upgrade to the latest OS when available..  VW has typically been what 

requires me to hold off updating...  

• Like 1

@dtheory Thanks for the input, we have also had a better experience with Beta 6. I would still always recommend waiting to update to the latest OS when it becomes available. Once we can test it extensively with the release build, it is easier for us to recommend or not. We just want to make sure that your Vectorworks workflow is not crippled by OS updates.

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BaxterDawg said:

‘Good job guys’. Are you absolutely kidding me?

VW will not load on Catalina Beta 6. There are no dongle drivers compatible. No workarounds and many users rely on the dongle edition.

"many" perhaps, but dongles are not the standard installation anymore.

But how can something be done on the VW side? VW cannot invent a dongle driver if the dongle supplier has not released its own version of the driver.

(Except, of course, by changing installations from B to E serial numbers, like the current program for the German VW... for other reasons).

Edited by Nicolas Goutte
  • Administrator
4 hours ago, BaxterDawg said:

VW will not load on Catalina Beta 6. There are no dongle drivers compatible. No workarounds and many users rely on the dongle edition

Even though we are expecting an updated driver release from the manufacturer to support Catalina, you can move into a dongle-less version of Vectorworks such as E-series. I will suggest you contact the local distributor. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 2:51 PM, JuanP said:

Even though we are expecting an updated driver release from the manufacturer to support Catalina, you can move into a dongle-less version of Vectorworks such as E-series. I will suggest you contact the local distributor. 

Hi Juan,

the "ReadMe" from August setup (Vers. 7.10) says: "Operating Systems Supported-> 10.15. Catalina".

Seems to be supported already?!

1999819186_Bildschirmfoto2019-09-16um12_03_08.thumb.png.1a608228422cb3c5df3df1a6ea786374.png

Regards

Karsten

• 3 weeks later...
  • JuanP unpinned this topic