Auto Classes in Viewport Sheets

I was hoping that VW11.5 would fix an oversight in VW11. VW should automatically turn-on all previously selected Classes when a Sheet is visible. This would function just like Views. In VW 11.1 I had to stop using Viewports and Sheets because invisible classes to often caused me embarassment. Manually turning them on is tedious and easy to forget in the heat of a printing deadline.

Has anyone developed a VectorScript to turn-on all pre-selected layers and classes when a Sheet is open?

Nope, the saved view function won't regulate class specifications within viewports. I think JHE's goal is to have a (quasi) random set-up maintained from drawing to sheet. At the moment you just have to remember to adjust your viewport settings.

That does bring to mind another degree of functionality, to be able to save different viewport configurations without having separate viewports.

grant PD

I do use Views for most drawings. But if I need to crop parts of a drawing, ViewPorts are the only way to go. In fact, I think of Sheets (with ViewPorts) as just an upgrade of Views (old sheets) with the ability to add crops from other layers. Other than cropped viewports, I don't see any major advantage of Sheets over Views. Except, of course each Sheet can have a different printer setup, which is seldom the case for me. Thanks

Delmer

Why shouldn't Sheets and Viewports automatically turn on all pre-set classes just like Views? As I understand it, Sheets are supposed to be like AutoCAD paper space, ready to print versions of the model. Currently, I have to remember to turn on classes that are specific to each viewport before I print. Unfortunately, my memory is not that good. So a VectorScript to turn on all VP classes would save me a lot of trouble and embarassment. Thanks

JHE

JHE, I absolutely agree on the convenience of what you're after, but oftentimes half or more of the classes one ordinarily prints are turned off for ease of drawing. In that case it behooves one to be able to have the typical print selection set and ready when you go to your viewport -the present functionality.

One thing you can do, if you need to print two or more variations of the same drawing (maybe one that has client-specific information and one that has contractor-specific information) is to set up two sheets. The viewports in those sheets would save the particular set of classes pertinent to each.

[ 04-29-2005, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Delmer ]

Delmer

The Sheet classes I'm talking about are the ones that are set during the creation of a Viewport. Back in the Design layer I can turn them on & off without changing the ready-to-print setup. All I'm asking for is that VW will make sure that the classes I have already pre-selected will be turned on for viewing the sheet or for spooling to the printer.

This is so obvious to me I can't imagine why it doesn't already work that way. Am I missing something? As you say, two different versions of the same drawing can be printed by creating two seperate Sheets. I can't think of any reason why a Sheet doesn't automatically display and print as I set it up in the beginning.

JHE

I'm curious - are creating the viewports while you are in a design layer or in a sheet layer?

I find that if I create the viewport while in a design layer view, what I see is what is created.

When I'm in a Sheet Layer view I usually copy a view port, past it into a new sheet layer, then tweak my layer and class visibility for that print.

There is a plug in ( I think I got it at Vectordepot) that turns all classes on. Doesn't seem to work in a Sheet Layer, but if you use in in the Design layer then create the Viewport that might work for you.

BTW, the Sheet Layer's ability to run off an 8x10 pdf or a D sheet has been invaluable.

David

I have never created a ViewPort while in a Sheet layer. All VP settings are made in the Create VP dialog while in a Design layer. I would naturally assume that the Classes I set in the dialog would be turned on when I go to the Sheet layer. But that's not the case. I have to manually turn on the classes that are specific to the Sheet. The Sheet classes may not match the Design classes. So I'd like to set them once, and never have to do it again. Looks like I am in the minority here.

JHE