ELEVATION BENCHMARK - TEXT OFFSET ISSUE, CALLOUT SHOULDER LENGTH PRESET

Christian Fekete

Question

To all you smart people, I am having an issue with two setups that should be controllable but where I have been stuck for some time now, resolving for one as a cut and paste and the other one which I cannot resolve really.

1/ The CALLOUT SHOULDER LENGTH, comes with a preset length of 96' ... too long, I would like to setup the callout so that it comes with a 2' shoulder

2/ The ELEVATION BENCHMARK text offset seems to be off on both right and left justification. 

(see below)

Thank you for the help

CF1518565934_FROSTLINE.thumb.png.d660e8c73dc316726e7666d474719507.png

10 answers to this question

I've just started having the benchmark problem...

Any drawing I open and select/move a Benchmark object, the text changes from what I would expect to be 'normal' and then looks like the screenshot attached (does not want to go 'above line').

Any ideas?

EDIT: This is Vectorworks 2019 SP5.3, on Mac 10.13.16

image.thumb.png.8054d672f5c92aea8b56b49408510d82.png

Edited by Keito64
Adding system specification.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for replying. I've updated my original post with the Vectorworks version and OS version.

See attached a simple file with just an Elevation Benchmark object in the middle.

A little testing:

I did try a brand new - Blank (metric).sta - file and the tool worked as expected.

Then I tried again in brand new drawing based on our office template file and it went wrong, so I assume that something is wrong with our template (or the way my Vectorworks seems to interact with it).

I believe I am the only person in the office to have updated to the latest 2019 service pack. Maybe there's an interaction here.

Benchmark Issue.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
18 minutes ago, Keito64 said:

Hi Matt,

Thanks for replying. I've updated my original post with the Vectorworks version and OS version.

See attached a simple file with just an Elevation Benchmark object in the middle.

A little testing:

I did try a brand new - Blank (metric).sta - file and the tool worked as expected.

Then I tried again in brand new drawing based on our office template file and it went wrong, so I assume that something is wrong with our template (or the way my Vectorworks seems to interact with it).

I believe I am the only person in the office to have updated to the latest 2019 service pack. Maybe there's an interaction here.

Benchmark Issue.vwx 902.61 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the version info and file.

I played around with this for a bit and discovered the cause of the problem:

The problem happens if the Elevation Benchmark is in a class with a Text Style set to "Use at creation". The problem remains even if the Text Style of Elevation Benchmark object is set to unstyled or another Text Style in the Object Info palette. The only way to fix it is to deselect "Use at Creation" for the Text Style in the Class settings for the class the object is in.  You can still set the object to use the "<Class Text Style>" (or any other text style) in the Object Info palette and it should work correctly.

I did find an open bug report on this (VB-128560) and added this information to it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Christian Fekete said:

Hi Matt, 

Another one on the same elevation benchmark, Is there a way to remove the decimal points in the distance?

Stay healthy

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 10.49.39.png

Hi Christian,

Unfortunately, the dimension value display in the object is tied to the document's unit and rounding settings.  Having independent unit and rounding control is needed and on the wish list.