New Mac OS (Tiger) compatibility

Fsung

Well, that's terrifically useful if you really want to run Photoshop 3.0 in Classic mode, but since a heap of other 3rd party providers aren't ready for OS10.4, some early purchasers may not even get off the line. From the Apple discussion board, there are problems for example with Logitech cordless mice and Retrospect backups, and as I run both those, I think it would be prudent to wait a while. I'd rather trundle along at the present speed than stall completely - Apple is a wonderful company, but notorious for less than perfect first issues. I'm just urging caution, especially if your business relies on this system.

Regards

David W

Auckland, NZ

iMac 17", OS10.3.9, VWA 11.5

quote:

Originally posted by D Wood:

Fsung

Well, that's terrifically useful if you really want to run Photoshop 3.0 in Classic mode, but since a heap of other 3rd party providers aren't ready for OS10.4, some early purchasers may not even get off the line. From the Apple discussion board, there are problems for example with Logitech cordless mice and Retrospect backups, and as I run both those, I think it would be prudent to wait a while. I'd rather trundle along at the present speed than stall completely - Apple is a wonderful company, but notorious for less than perfect first issues. I'm just urging caution, especially if your business relies on this system.

Regards

David W

Auckland, NZ

iMac 17", OS10.3.9, VWA 11.5

David,

I understand your caution concerning a x.0.0 release, however, as I pointed out in my earlier post, "everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) is faster, more stable, and more secure," including to Classic applications, not simply to Classic operations, as your reply implies. To cite but one example, I re-rendered a 3 minute, 30 FPS, 800x600 FQ Renderworks animated walkthrough that I had previously rendered in 10.3.9 to compare the rendering speed. In Tiger, the render took just over 41 hours (41:03:51) , as compared to ~67 hours (66:58:39) in 10.3.8.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have had zero hardware issues to date with my Logitach Cordless Optical mouse, UMAX Astra 3450 scanner (which UMAX never got around to supporting on OS X to begin with), my Syquest 44Mb removable SCSI drive (circa 1989), or Firewire HDs, nor have I had problems with Retrospect. To date, the only issues I've had are with VW Online help (not a big issue for me since I rarely use it) and with Apple's decision to eliminate the sliding trays in Mail and hard-code the Mailboxes on the left side of the Mail window. [Frown]

And, as my business relies exclusively on my G5 and a 500MHz ibook, and Tiger appears to have solved several anomalous behaviours I was experiencing in VW 11.5 running under 10.3.x?e.g. fonts not updating in documents, having to issue two CMD-Qs/CMD-Ws to quit VW/close a file, crashes when editing certain symbols, objects visible in sheets and design layers not printing, to name a few?I'm more than pleased to have made the jump.

Bottom line: make the jump when you're comfortable making the jump; in the meantime, mark me down as a very satisfied Tiger convert.

having some problems in vectorworks 11.5 on some 2D drawings when i go in to page setup VW quits. Using dual 1.25 G4 upgraded to Tiger 10.05.05. Has anyone else expierenced this problem. Would be very grate full if any one knows how to fix or work around this problem as i have to print these drawings asap Cheers

I have found that some apps are not as reliable now that i have upgraded to tiger. Well worth testing before jumping in as i have done.

to Bewdley

have you tried the osx system preference pane 'keyboard and mouse' and tried fiddling around with the keyboard shortcuts? I clicked the restore defaults button, this seemed to fix things...

also try switching between workspaces in vectorworks, to see if it is just your workspace gone wrong...