New Mac OS (Tiger) compatibility

On my test machine, a 1 ghz g4, the speed increase was phenomenal! I was able to manipulate and select 100,000 objects, duplicate, rotate, in a mere fraction of the time. Are there other issues, I don't know, I just started testing today. I will pipe up as I know more.

ion

Ok,

still running tests, and nothing very new to report.

A question for others that are testing capability, are you getting speed values that are very much the same for both VW 10.5.1 and VW 11.5?

I notice that the slight stalls I can force happen a little differently between the two versions, but that the overall speed is about the same.

Ok,

still running tests, and nothing very new to report.

A question for others that are testing capability, are you getting speed values that are very much the same for both VW 10.5.1 and VW 11.5?

I notice that the slight stalls I can force happen a little differently between the two versions, but that the overall speed is about the same.

I have been using VW11.5 with Tiger since Saturday. So far there have not been any problems - but I am mainly doing 2D drawings at the moment.

I have also tried opening several previous model files to see what happens. I would agree with IONW that there are no noticeable speed gains in rendering and the like.

2D snapping in Top / Plan view seems marginally better. Apart from that everything seems pretty much the same.

[ 05-03-2005, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

To everyone responding to my initial inquiry regarding the compatibility of "Tiger" with VW. It is great to have this ongoing dialog/posting of the little "nuances" which haunt all of us when upgrading to the "new-and-improved" versions of software where we spend the first few weeks (months) consuming any time we thought we might have saved in upgrading to a new version in the first place.

I've already determined that for our office, we are better off waiting to upgrade after Tiger has gotten the kinks out of it. However, I also feel I should buy one license and install the new OS on a spare machine and run some tests so I too can add to this ongoing effort of discovery and identification. You folks are contributing much, and I certainly would not enjoy standing back and "freeload" off everyone's diligent efforts.

Thanks to all!

Hi there, I'm using Tiger on a test machine and VW 10.5 runs fine. I haven't tested 11.5 yet.

Is anyone using it or know of problems using 11.5 & Tiger within a lab environment? I want to install it on the head machine (the one with the dongle) but not on any of the others.

Thanks

After using VW 11.5 and Mac OS 10.4 (tiger) on a G4(1.24Gh-756ram) for a week, mainly for 2d and 3d sketches, I can report no problems at all. I also feel some kind of speed increase and stability...

At the apple?s spotlight issue (somehow it can get confused with the vectorworks spotlight module), it seems that VW needs to create some kind of plugin (as Archicad or Ashlar had already done) to be installed in the spotlight system, so it can be able to extract the metadata from the VW files... I have just posted a request in the wish list item of these forums [Wink]

For those still on VW10x and being careful with your money - I think the upgrade to 11.5 was more valuable to me than upgrading to OS10.4 Tiger could be.

I'm gonna wait for OS10.4.1 anyway, going by the posts in the Apple discussions.

Regards

David W

Auckland, NZ

iMac 17", OS10.3.9, VWA 11.5

quote:

Originally posted by D Wood:

[QB] For those still on VW10x and being careful with your money - I think the upgrade to 11.5 was more valuable to me than upgrading to OS10.4 Tiger could be./QB]

I can't speak for others, but for my money, the upgrade to VW 11.5, though valuable in terms of the improved capabilities, doesn't begin to compare with the value of Tiger, because VW 11.5 improvements are program-specific, while Tiger's benefits are system- and application-wide. I installed Tiger on an external drive for testing purposes a little over a week ago, and I can report that everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) is faster, more stable, and more secure. I benchmarked Photoshop 3.0 running in Classic mode, just for the heck of it, and it runs anywhere from 8-15% faster, depending on the operation, in Tiger than it ran in Jaguar 10.3.9.

I have had a couple of issues, however It may be related to how I have my workspace set up:

My Panning does not work, when I press down the space bar. The panning icon is quickly displayed, than snaps back to the 2D selection tool.

When I want to duplicate an item, I used to hold down my Alt key, and I could rubber stamp things easily ... no more.

When I go to the online help by pressing F1, I can view the subjects, but I cannot click on a topic to view.

When I hold down my shift, I usually got my different degree rotation options, now it doesnt seem to work.

Any ideas??

thanks

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin:

quote:

Originally posted by fsung:

...and I can report that everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) is faster, more stable, and more secure...

What computer are you using, G4, G5?
2.0 G5 Dual.

quote:

Originally posted by APE Design Ctr:

I have had a couple of issues, however It may be related to how I have my workspace set up:

My Panning does not work, when I press down the space bar. The panning icon is quickly displayed, than snaps back to the 2D selection tool.

When I want to duplicate an item, I used to hold down my Alt key, and I could rubber stamp things easily ... no more.

When I go to the online help by pressing F1, I can view the subjects, but I cannot click on a topic to view.

When I hold down my shift, I usually got my different degree rotation options, now it doesnt seem to work.

Any ideas??

thanks

I'm not seeing the panning problem or the duplicate item problem: both work as expected.

Online help does seem to be broken, though: the topics display, but clicking them does nothing. Doesn't matter if I invoke Help from F1 or the Help menu. (Not a big issue for me since I rarely need to use the online help, but it does need to be addressed. Hopefully, Nemetschek will fix it in the next couple of weeks.)

Not sure what you're referring to regarding rotation options. I've always simply right-clicked on an object to access editing options (cut, copy, paste, send and rotate sub-menus, object properties pallet). Right-clicking still works for me.