Worksheet creation for symbols with records

I have created a series of landscape lighting symbols that have records attached.

For example;

ACCENT LIGHT symbol has ACCENT LIGHT record attached

POND LIGHT symbol has POND LIGHT record attached

Each unique record type have the same fields, eg. ID, Item, Supplier, Model, etc.

But the fields differ in values.

I am trying to create a report that tables the symbol record field values and quantities.

i.e 

ID     Item                    Supplier           Model          Amount

L1     Accent Light    Acme lights     1234            4

L2     Pond Light       Alpha lights      5678            2

I have just sent this through to Ozcad support, but thought I would cast the net a little further.

Maybe I need to take a different approach?

I have attached a file that shows the symbols and records.

Thanks in advance

James

Drainage sandpit 1.vwx

For the benefit of others, what solution did OzCad suggest?

My suggestion is that since all of the records have the same fields, to use a single record format, possibly modified from your current format to include a field to specify the light type.

If you only have a few different record formats, you could use IF statements to get what you want (both in the criteria and in each field), but the single record format will be a much easier way to pull the data from the different light types into a single schedule.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply Pat. Here is the conversation I had with Julian at OzCAD, I thought this would be better than trying to clearly explain the solution.

ME

Hi Julian,

Thanks for the help over the weekend. Unfortunately, I am still wracking my brains over this.

I have attached a file that has the lighting symbols and records.

I have spent the morning trying to create this simple worksheet.

The trouble I am having is getting all the record items with the same name, i.e. ID to appear in the same column.

i.e 

ID     Description     Amount

L1     Accent Light    4

L2     Pond Light       2

Any thoughts?

maybe I need to take a different approach?

JULIAN

My initial thought is, why do you have all those separate light records with identical fields? This is just going to make everything much harder and the worksheets trickier to program. What you should have is a single record with one additional field where you set the type (Accent, Path, Hanging, etc). Then in the worksheet you could sort by the type field so that each type would be grouped together.

Is there a reason not to do this?

ME

Oh, maybe I am not understanding records correctly.

If I attach a generic lighting record to a specific lighting symbol and then populate the fields with values for that specific light, will the values entered remain each time I use the symbol?

JULIAN

Yes. Record data is unique to either the symbol definition if using symbols, or any object on the drawing you attach the record to, including symbol instances. If you want to build a set of lighting symbols with data already attached, then you do it by editing the symbol and with NOTHING selected within the symbol, attach and edit the record. By design, this will NOT affect data in existing instances of that symbol, so you need to set all this up before you start placing the symbols.

ME

Great, thanks! 

Reading this, I don't even know why I did what I did!