Select all and move (entire building) doesnt work?

techdef

Question

Hey folks, I'm trying to push a building around to fit within the height envelope on a sloping lot. Select-all and Move somehow fails. It will only move the roof, and delete a few 1st story walls. Not at all the behaviour one would expect. Any suggestions?

PS, ive tried grouping and that does other weird stuff... 

6 answers to this question

This could be a dangerous operation. Please Save As to retain previous version as backup. 

Method 1: [make sure sure all Classes are ON] Select All, then Group, for one Design Layer at a time. Move the Group and jot down the exact x/y offsets for the move. Now Select All  then Group for each remaining Design Layers and move them the exact same x/y offset. Subsequently, remember to Ungroup each set (but only Ungroup once as more will destroy many parametric capabilities of "complex objects").

Method 2:  [make sure sure all Classes are ON] Set Layer Options to Show/Snap/Modify Others. Select All and (Group perhaps, always somewhat safer in my opinion) Move.

Make sure to change back to Show/Snap (NOT Modify) when done. Leaving this on is recipe for boo-boos.

Method 3:  [make sure sure all Classes are ON] Set Layer Options to Show/Snap/Modify Others. Select All and then Create Symbol. Warning: while this will create a movable/draggable single entity to play with, it will also place the Symbol and all building elements within it into a single Design Layer. This is not desirable for working on the building later. One workaround is to set up your file using only a single Design Layer with multiple Classes. Not really how VW's is designed/intended, but it's somewhat workable if you're diligent.

Method 3: Use Referenced Files. See the User Guide for more. Not my favorite for various reasons, but sometimes makes sense for certain projects.

I have a very rigorous methodology for Building Placement onto Site but it is too much info for this thread. Just remember that VW's is unique and you need to adhere to its basic principles. 

For a new build I like to use design layer viewports. Either a design layer viiewport of the building placed on the site model design layer or a dlvp of the site model placed on a bldg model design gun layer.

the location and orientation of the bldg in relation to the site can easily be adjusted to suit the available bldg envelope while other sheet layer viewports are unaffected. Eg your floor plans or bldg elevations don’t change. 

• Like 1
On 6/29/2019 at 8:18 AM, CipesDesign said:

This could be a dangerous operation. Please Save As to retain previous version as backup. 

Method 1: [make sure sure all Classes are ON] Select All, then Group, for one Design Layer at a time. Move the Group and jot down the exact x/y offsets for the move. Now Select All  then Group for each remaining Design Layers and move them the exact same x/y offset. Subsequently, remember to Ungroup each set (but only Ungroup once as more will destroy many parametric capabilities of "complex objects").

Method 2:  [make sure sure all Classes are ON] Set Layer Options to Show/Snap/Modify Others. Select All and (Group perhaps, always somewhat safer in my opinion) Move.

Make sure to change back to Show/Snap (NOT Modify) when done. Leaving this on is recipe for boo-boos.

Method 3:  [make sure sure all Classes are ON] Set Layer Options to Show/Snap/Modify Others. Select All and then Create Symbol. Warning: while this will create a movable/draggable single entity to play with, it will also place the Symbol and all building elements within it into a single Design Layer. This is not desirable for working on the building later. One workaround is to set up your file using only a single Design Layer with multiple Classes. Not really how VW's is designed/intended, but it's somewhat workable if you're diligent.

Method 3: Use Referenced Files. See the User Guide for more. Not my favorite for various reasons, but sometimes makes sense for certain projects.

I have a very rigorous methodology for Building Placement onto Site but it is too much info for this thread. Just remember that VW's is unique and you need to adhere to its basic principles. 

Thanks - I wound up doing Method 1. Still a lot of cleanup, but it got it done.