64 bit?

So I've poked around at a few of the threads regarding the advent of a 64 bit mac OS. I'm using a PC but considering upgrading hardware. (no I'm not switching OS's) Is there any advantage at this juncture to purchasing a 64-bit dual processor-capable workstation? Will Vectorworks run on a 64-bit Intel xeon chip eventhough I its a 32 bit application? Is is a waste of money until Mr. Gates ships a new one?

Windows xp 64 bit edition just became available this week, free if you trade in your existing copy of xp. Vectorworks will probably not benefit the slightest bit from this but you may get better overall system performance which could indirectly make vectorworks run better, except than some 32 bit programs run a little slower on the new 64bit os until the drivers get a little more mature. Either the xeon or the opteron is a better option than a regular p4 and a processor capable of doing 32 and 64 bit is definitely the way to go.

64bit is useful for accessing huge amounts of memory.

it won't make a big diff in day to day tasks.

VW can take advantage of mult processors though. hopefully a future version will be able to take advantage of Apple's x-grid architecture. if you have a couple of Macs networkeed you can download the xgrid demo and see how it works.