Slab not below walls

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what I've done wrong with my slab? I've entered  -1 for delta Z. Stacking order is Roof 1, Plan 2 and Slab 3. I thought I could drag it down in view shown but I can't, it disappears. Also I must have drawn it in Title Block class and when i attempt to rename, it disappears again. What the hell have I done?

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 11.19.26 PM.png

Guest Wes Gardner

@creatrix, Zoomer is correct...you may want to take a moment and look at the thread "No Stories, No Problem".  I talk you through setting up a model that does NOT use stories.  If you'd then like to try stories, you can have a look at the thread "Model Set Up".  Alot of issues are related to not having your wall and slab styles consistent with your model set-up scheme (either layer bound or level bound)

Wes

😪@Wes Gardner I've asked Benson this question but will ask you too. I'm going through your thread (🙏) and wondering since I have done the entire plan in 2D mode, what is the best way to merge my exterior wall and slab creation with all that I have on my plan (dimensions, notes, interior walls, roof, windows and doors)? I am reading all the way through and maybe getting ahead of myself but I am needing to make some money and stop benefitting HFH at my expense! (yes, I know, whoa is me😪 and my whining!)

Guest Wes Gardner

I'll need to make a couple of assumptions here...assuming you've used the wall tool to create your plan, it's a simple matter to include "Layer Wall Height" in your Layer set-up, then, in your wall style(s), include "Layer Wall Height" as the top bounding condition and "Layer Elevation" as the bottom bounding condition.  You can then just introduce those bounding conditions to your already-drawn walls in 2D and you'll get 3D walls at the proper height.  It's then a matter of creating viewports and placing the various views (plans, sections, elevations) on sheet layers.

But wait, there's more....don't forget, in your wall styles, to include any necessary offsets for the various wall components as well as setting everything to be "by Class" so you can control and over ride line weights. etc in your viewports.

I highly recommend taking a bit of time to thoroughly understand what bounding conditions, layer wall heights, etc, etc mean and how they come together to create a building information model.  This is explained in the instructions.

I'm at wgardner@vectorworks.net or here on the Community Board

Wes

10 hours ago, Wes Gardner said:

You can then just introduce those bounding conditions to your already-drawn walls in 2D and you'll get 3D walls at the proper height.

@Wes Gardner generally good advice, but this question refers  to the recent parapet and shed roof thread. The mission style (Pueblo style? fake adobe style?) envelope walls slope and have variable rounded over parapets intersecting shorter or taller walls.  Construction -edit- might  be full height walls (ballon), -edit-  or might be parapets on roof platform. Walls without components are mostly doable for this if not joined. But wrapping and joining styled components of uneven heights is rather a muddle (at least to me), even if split into stacked walls below and above the sloping roof line.

Your pro comments would be most welcome there!

- B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Balloon vs platform

@creatrix suggested work flow is to put geometry stacked up

on several design layers (Eg slab, first floor walls/doors, second floor stuff, furniture, Site, roof, etc or stories with levels and layers - lots of ways to split out drawing elements) and dims/notes as annotations in sheet layer viewports.

There are useful hybrids of this, Eg work sheets and large blocks of notes might be placed on separate design layers which are then shown whole or in part in various sheet layer VPs or might be directly placed as objects on sheet layers (but not as annotations in VPs) . Separate files are another variant- Eg Site in one file, bldg A in another, bldg B in another, etc with these files referenced into a Master for creation of sheets. . . 

All of the the above works best with consistent classing structure

Hopefully you are already finding similar workflow . 

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw