Vectorworks and ConnectCAD

I think everybody has seen the press release about Vectorworks (or Nemetschek) buying ConnectCAD. Pretty excited to see what develops!

Wonder if any of the VW staff (or maybe Conrad) who monitor this board can comment about what to expect in the 2020 release? Features, pricing, etc. From the press release, it seems that it will be a part of the software (C++), not a plug-in (Vectorscript)

The SDK still uses the modular/plug-in approach, but offers performance improvements (c++ is a pre-compiled language) as well as capabilities that aren’t possible with scripting, particularly regarding user interaction. From what I understand, ConnectCAD already has some functionality built on the SDK. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 1:04 PM, tw0fer said:

In the press release regarding this acquisition, it mentions that ConnectCAD will be "offered as an add-on module for Vectorworks Spotlight or Designer." Does this mean it will be an additional cost? Or will this be included in the price of a Spotlight/Designer licence? 

TL;DR: yes, it will be an additional cost (similar to the Vision and Braceworks acquisitions)

From memory, the 2018 version was selling for roughly $700 for a new license but that info is gone now: https://connectcad.com/index.php/shop-2

https://www.livedesignonline.com/business-people-news/vectorworks-acquires-connectcad?NL=LIVE-04&Issue=LIVE-04_20190827_LIVE-04_689&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_2&utm_rid=CPLSM000000042792&utm_campaign=16262&utm_medium=email&elq2=84c3914bce26444691db4b0deede1135

From the press release/interview:

Will ConnectCAD remain at the plug-in level or be fully integrated into the various Vectorworks offerings?

Today, ConnectCAD is a series of plug-in objects and commands that are packaged as a module on top of Vectorworks. We will continue to offer ConnectCAD in this way. It will be sold as a product module that can be added to Spotlight or Designer licenses.

On the bright side... 

ConnectCAD founder Conrad Preen is joining Vectorworks with the deal. How will he be integrated into the current company structure?

Conrad will join our R&D team, and he’ll play an active role in the future integration of ConnectCAD into Vectorworks. Additionally, Conrad will help with the introduction of new features for this module. We’re grateful to have Conrad’s experience and foresight on board as we broaden the ConnectCAD capabilities and make additional plans for expanding our AV offerings.

This is one of those plug-ins that I've had my eye on for years but have never pulled the trigger because it was pretty pricey coupled with Vectorworks in-app purchase fatigue:

• ConnectCAD $700
  • Lightwright $700
  • Vision $1600-2500
  • Braceworks $5000

That's an additional $8000+, and it's hitting the Spotlight users particularly hard. It's like buying a base model Mac, and then speccing it out triples the total cost. Was really hoping for something in the spirit of the PanzerCAD acquisition.

Also just want to give thanks to the indie developers/designers that have built most (if not all) of the tools that have been baked into Spotlight for years.

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

WHAAAAAAAAAAT????????

https://www.vectorworks.net/en-US/connectcad/buy

$5k or $200/month?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

The standalone app was $700/year.

NOT COOL.

I believe that pricing includes the Vectorworks Spotlight license, so that's about $700 above Spotlight alone. I think that's actually the same with Braceworks — the quoted price is for a new license of Spotlight with Braceworks.

What isn't clear from the site is how and how much the cost is to add on one of the additional packages to an existing license.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:36 PM, JBenghiat said:

I believe that pricing includes the Vectorworks Spotlight license, so that's about $700 above Spotlight alone. I think that's actually the same with Braceworks — the quoted price is for a new license of Spotlight with Braceworks.

What isn't clear from the site is how and how much the cost is to add on one of the additional packages to an existing license.

Oh boy... Yeah, you're right. There's even a little widget above the pricing menu for Spotlight or Designer that will bump the combined cost of Designer + ConnectCAD to $5,545.

While the hopes of it being baked into 2020 at no cost are lost, like tears in rain, the new hope is that the cost of ConnectCAD is no more expensive than it was before it was acquired. That said, I need another subscription service like I need a hole in the head.

Edited by Mark Aceto

I just called sales, and paid for it.

Here's the lowdown for Service Select members (only compatible with Spotlight and Designer):

• $600 to purchase ConnectCAD 2020 (perpetual license)
  • $132/year to maintain add-on at time of annual SS renewal (for upgrades)

So, even though it's not baked into 2020 for free, at least it's less expensive than it was before (not to mention ramping up development in-house).

Excited to get cracking as I've had my eye on ConnectCAD for years, and finally pulled the trigger!

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • 2 weeks later...