Referenced in models not displaying correctly.

Josh S

Question

Hi, 

I'm new to the forum and vectorworks so please forgive my ignorance! 

I'm developing a 3d model it's a site consisting of two blocks (1No of 2 Units, 1 No. of 3 units). The block of 2 units has a ridge line 1m lower than the other. 

I set up my stories to produce the models and created them in two separate files because of this difference in ridge levels? I am trying to reference them into a model showing the site plan/ finishes etc.  I have referenced them in as viewports - I am assuming this is the most appropriate way? 

However, for some reason my dormers are appearing without a roof, and without a cut in the roof face, despite being correct in the original models. 

If i reference them into a separate / new drawings they appeared but the finishes on the main roof was incorrect, I did not check to see if this correct in a render. 

I have tried deleting them, remove them in organisations - references, and then reinserting them, but they still appear incorrect.

10 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum!

Yes. Referencing via design layer viewports is a great way to work with several files.

In the Site (master) file create a separate design layer to contain each DVLP.  Nothing but one DVLP in each of these layers.

In Vwx, visibility problems are often (usually?) related to class settings.

Some things to look at:

•  Try a system reboot and a vwx relaunch.

• In each source file check/note the class assignment of objects missing in the Site file DVLPs. Save the source file. Repeat for other source files.

• In the Site file, update All references (Organization or Navigation palette). Then open a layer containing a DVLP. Switch layer visibility to Active Only. Select the dvlp.  If any objects are missing, open the OIP class visibility pane for the DVLP. Set all classes related to any missing objects to Visible. Repeat in the OIP layer list. Repeat @ each DVLP.

• if geometry is all ok in the DVLP but missing in Sheet Layer Viewports, then open the SLVP class lists and set all relevant classes to Visible. 

• In the Site file, select a DVLP, open the OIP Class pane.  Near bottom is an option for Use current document's class visibilities.  Toggle/disable this and see if missing objects reappear.  Issue here is that classes with same names as corresponding in Source files can be made in or added to the Master file (pasting/importing objects from source files, importing classes, template classes, etc).  These classes in the Master file can control and override visibilities in the DVLPs if the Use current doc visibilities is enabled.  Try disable the pref in the DVLP class list, or set the Master file classes and overrides for desired visibility in the DVLP.

Whew, what a mouthful.

Post back if visibility does not improve.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
additional stuff

Hi @Benson Shaw  

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't have much luck with your suggestions although I haven't been able to find the "Use current doc visibilities"?

I set up and imported 3 viewports onto individual layers. 1 of each of the blocks and another for the site. 

It fixed the issue with the dormers but created a number of similar problems, for example;

- Roof texture / finishes not appearing

- Half the bushes do not have any texture applied

- Glazed balustrade missing

I've attached a number of files to try and show where I am struggling. 

( p.s. once I've worked all this out be ready for the help topic on sorting the fascias and reveals! )

Snip  showing rear of Unit 3.PNG

Snip of proposed.PNG

Snip of Site plan.PNG

Unit 1 snip.PNG

Check the DVLP class list and verify for any missing object, that the textures are activated in the relevant Class.  This means click the class in the DVLP list, choose Edit and open the texture tab to make sure the textures are enabled in Wall, Roof and Other tabs.

Also, again, in the Master file, Select the DVLP and open its OIP class pane. You should see that Use current doc visibilities pref. near the bottom.  Disable it, then rerender, or update your sheet layer vp.

Ill try to look into this more later.

-B

@Josh-gsy Just looked closer at that overhead Site screenshot.  Looks like view is nearly 22000m from drawing origin.

Vectorworks looses, um clarity?, when objects are far from origin - things disappear, planes twist off axis, etc.

To test if this is the issue:

Create a new blank file.  Create a new DVLP referencing one of the house blocks.  In Top/Plan, move the DVLP so it's at the drawing origin.  Render OpenGL and examine with flyover tool.

If everything is as expected, then, I think the fix is to move the User Origin of the Master Site Drawing near the site objects.  Or, relocate the Site objects and the DVLPs to the drawing origin.

Others here on forum may have best practices advice.

Also check the house drawings for proximity to origin.  The screenshots show them pretty close, I think.

Post back if this is not it.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
sluff

@Benson Shaw 

Thank you for your persistence with this. Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday - I wasn't in the office at all. 

I moved the model to centralise it over the origin, and found that class tick box. Neither of those resolved it. 

I have opened a blank document and inserted the first unit and it came in fine. 

2140830170_190626Importedunit1.thumb.PNG.bdcf3ad403198336c5b277fa6b05961e.PNG

I then inserted the second block in, and the roof on the first unit then went wrong? 

image.thumb.png.30eb34ec15c38b941dc94d8e3c8f23fa.png

Could this be an issue with the PC hardware / specification? 

Both roofs are of identical construction - same layer names etc... could this be causing an issue? 

many thanks again for your help! 

atb,

Josh

@Josh-gsy - That's really interesting.  Couple more things to look at:

Hardware -

Specs in your signature indicate your system should be fine, so this is probably not it. But you could try a temporary downgrade of vwx graphics processing and a system reboot:

Vectorworks Prefs>Display>Navigation Graphics.  Set it to Best Compatibility (that's the lowest level).  Exit the prefs and render again. Just to be sure, you could also Save everything, close the file, Save/Quit all applications, reboot your system. Relaunch and try the render again.  Not a bad idea to reboot often, anyway.  If no improvement or change in the renders, restore that vwx pref for Graphics Navigation.  Probably no need for another reboot at that point.

Another wild idea -

The file with the second building.  Is it possible that there is a duplicate of the 1st building's roof in the file containing the 2nd building?  Or, to ask another way, could paste of the 2nd building into your test file cause some object(s) to be placed coincident on the roof of 1st building.  It could be something on an invisible layer or class in the source file that is made visible by the class and layer settings of the test file. Or a corrupt object -  Are there objects in the model from mfg websites or 3d Warehouse, or other? Sinks? Table/Chair? Light fixtures?

Whether an errant object, or a corrupt object, perhaps a stepped addition of the 2nd building could find it. Make a new test file and paste in the 1st building. Create a  duplicate of the 2nd house file (and Save/close the original), start transferring objects from the 2nd building into the test file via Cut/Paste in Place. A few objects at a time - maybe a layer by layer.  Actually cut them from the source file, and paste in place into the test file until the problem occurs.

Are you doing this work on a network, with workgroup process? 

After that, I got nothin'.

Post a file here (just enough objects to demo the problem)? Call tech support?

Forum folks! esp architects!  Ideas?

-B

Hardware: 

Okay - I actually already had that set to best compatibility. I've changed it to best performance to see what impact that has. 

Another wild idea:

So one block, is just a mirror of the second with a unit removed. I created both in one template then did a save as and deleted the spare block - could this cause some of the issues? Is there a way to clean excess symbols and objects out of the file - (in autocad terms 'purge' it?). 

There are a number of objects in here - sofas etc that I inherited in a 2D file that i developed the model from. I am not too sure of their origins. I will try to remove any that are not required including the layers that the reference plans are on - currently they are turned off. 

Copy and pasting:

I'll have a play copying in objects. 

Vectorworks is installed on the machine locally, but the files are retrieved from a locally networked server. 

If I don't get anywhere i'll post the two units up? 

What happens if paste into a new blank test file only the 2 roof objects - same order as before: Small roof, then the larger one. 

If Roofs are interfering, post the file here so forum can take a look. 

If not interfering, continue the cut and paste from a copy of orig files into a new test file. Or I guess you could make a duplicate of the big problem file and start deleting things until problem goes away. Might be an easier path than multiple cut/paste?

-B

@Benson Shaw  Sorry busy few days at work - currently I've worked around the problem by removing all the roof components leaving it as a 300ish thick slate component. This seems to render fine. 

@JMR yes, I would of created one side then mirrored the other. 

So whilst I've got the roof to work and the Dormers by making them as extrusions as opposed to walls, I still have a rogue bush that will not render.

I've tried redrawing the bush ( creating a poly and extruding it then wrapping it in a texture). Again, it appears in the original model fine, but not in the import, whilst another one does. I've simplified the shape as much as practical and duplicated and renamed the texture to avoid any clashes. 

I'm looking forward to getting rid of this project and starting fresh on another.