Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Extrude Along Path Control

Pvz11

Hello, 

I am very new to marionette ive made a few that are working fine. Now I am testing out the "Extrude along path" I am not sure if I have understood it fully.

Could someone take a look? I am trying to just generate a line and have the capability to control the line lengths. It makes the group item, however I cant seem to get it to work as a marionette object.

Thank you

Marionette-ExtrudeAlongpath-OfficeDeskCounterTop.vwx

• Marionette Maven

@Pvz11

I took a look and made a few changes to your network - I didn't edit the one you have on your drawing area, but I did redo the one inside of the Marionette Object.

I hope this helps - basically the "compose" node was failing to compose the lines while in a Marionette Object, I'm going to submit a bug for that since I'm not sure why it works in a regular network, but not in an Object.

Please let me know if you need any help improving this further!

Marionette-ExtrudeAlongpath-OfficeDeskCounterTop_MFarrell.vwx

• Like 2

@Marissa Farrell 

Thank you, very much appreciated. It wasn't making any sense to me, now i know it was just a bug i can continue with the extrude along path ideas. Few things on my mind now, i was hoping to create the profile by marionette by composing lines instead of having the profile in the Vectorworks document i understand the compose node has issues now but until thats resolved is their another way to make it? Finally I have never considered using the ordered list node like this, i'm finding it hard to understand how this works is it possible for you to explain this?. Thank you again.

• Marionette Maven

You can create your profile the same way I got around the compose issue - determine the location/drawing order of your vertices and feed them into a Poly node.

Using the Ordered List node allows you to order the points that are going into the Poly node, if you were to just wire them all into the same port, the Poly node could take them in unpredictably. Ordering them ahead of time will ensure that they are drawn exactly how you expect.

For example, a square profile - you would provide it 4 points (0,0), (0,1), (1,1), and (1,0) into the first four ports of an Ordered List node, placing a Polygon 2D node after it. You then have two options; you can use the Set Closed 2D node after the Poly node, or you can wire the first point, (0,0), into the fifth port of the Ordered List node (item4).

I hope this helps, but if it doesn't, feel free to keep asking for clarification 🙂 

Ah I think i get it now, its just ordering the coordinates in a sequence then feeding it into the next action in that order. Ok thats great thank you.

I actually found a problem further from this while working on the extrude along path. I am trying to set height for this desk so i can then place legs, i cant seem to figure it out. Can you give a Z location to an extrude along path? Or am i just not getting it. For now ive just placed it into a symbol and given the symbol a height.

Thank you agin for all this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 2:38 PM, Marissa Farrell said:

You can create your profile the same way I got around the compose issue - determine the location/drawing order of your vertices and feed them into a Poly node.

Using the Ordered List node allows you to order the points that are going into the Poly node, if you were to just wire them all into the same port, the Poly node could take them in unpredictably. Ordering them ahead of time will ensure that they are drawn exactly how you expect.

For example, a square profile - you would provide it 4 points (0,0), (0,1), (1,1), and (1,0) into the first four ports of an Ordered List node, placing a Polygon 2D node after it. You then have two options; you can use the Set Closed 2D node after the Poly node, or you can wire the first point, (0,0), into the fifth port of the Ordered List node (item4).

I hope this helps, but if it doesn't, feel free to keep asking for clarification 🙂 

I'm currently facing the same problem: the compose node doesn't work inside a Marionette Object. How would this workaround look like if one of the lines is an arc? (I have two arcs and three straight lines that form a closed shape together)

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, I'm not there yet...

As you can see in the attachment, I have a list with points that I use to create a polygon. I know which vertices need to be arc vertices, but the Change Vertex Type node doesn't work apparently. Could someone have a quick look at it?

(next to the Marionette object is the shape that I would like to have in the end)

190712 ChangeVertexType.vwx

• Like 1