Worksheets and material pricing

Looking for some advice here.   

I'm trying to convert more data collection over to the worksheets and keep it as automated as possible.    What is the best workflow to add in pricing that can vary depending on the material used?   Say for a graphic panel, I pull the geometry to get width + height, but the price will change if the panel is PVC or fabric or Plexi, etc.   I have a record format set up so that I can describe the material in the worksheet, but is there a way to multiply the dimensions by the type of material being used?   

Currently I have a manual entry on the record, also considered a different header line per material.. but that just adds a bunch of extra lines.   

Thanks!

If you have a small number of options you could use nested IF statements to look up the price per unit in either the same worksheet or a different worksheet.

=IF(Object.Material='Plexi',$B$3,IF(Object.Material='Cloth',$B$4,IF(Object.Material='Wood',$B$5,'Unknown Material')

Where Object.Material is the record.field that holds the material data. If you already have it in a worksheet/database cell you could just reference the cell also.

If you have too any options for a set of nested IFs (more than 3 or 4), then a Worksheet Script could be created that would read data, probably easiest form a separate worksheet of prices. You would pass the script the name of the worksheet, the column with the reference value and the column with the data to return. That way you would only have to keep the data up to date in one place. The down side being that the data would not be stored with the object and you could not easily overwrite the value for a single object.

Ask again if you need more help.

Thanks Pat, I was curious if the IF command would be an option, but I sent too sure on the formula.   I’ll try this fo part of the worksheet.  We deal with at least a dozen material options, so the separate worksheet may be the better route for this part.  

Thanks again!

jeff