dwg model files aligned?

Does anyone know how to get imported dwg files to get aligned properly? AutoCad uses an insertion point to determine the position of every model file in the project. When I import four different files they don't match and 0/0 is at a different location in all of them.

Either each of the files has to align at 0,0,0 or each has to have its insertion point marked with a locus on the base drawing and the drawing to be inserted. Alternatively, a construction grid is necessary thru which all the component drawings can be coordinated.

This should be basic drawing practice even for Autocad users. Without it, it is not possible for different disciplines to coordinate their drawings in a team project.

Yeah ... seen some real winners with stuff all over the place.

Recompiling can be a challenge, indeed. Finding the 0,0 of each sheet and then placing 2dLoci works. Make sure you also get all the text line spacing correct cus v11.5 is very touchie with text. Finally, I re-orient the drawings to my design page. Don't ask about symbols ... the origin can be anywhere and fixing them can be ... well .. a nightmare especially if they're at a different scale than the sheet they're on.

Thank you all for helping out.

I get the drawings from the same person and I have checked them in AutoCad and they align just fine there, but once imported in VW it's a mess. So they must have a original setting with 0/0/0 just right. I expected that 0/0 in the dwg file should also become 0/0 in my VW file - and that each additional file imported would ligne up automatically with the previous ones - but no...

I could line them up and reorient them to suit me myself - no problem - but once I've done my work on the plans, I must send my part back - then my files will not be aligned with their plans any more - and I get the blame for not beeing compatible with the dwg format. Of course there are ways around that problem too, but there must be a RIGHT way to do this, some setting when the dwg file is imported or ...well?

bonus, it is very likely someone does know the real solution, but I have to admit it has eluded me as well.

Since VW likes to center the drawing in the workspace, here is what I have done; draw a bounding box in the AutoCAD file making sure there are no errant items outside it. Insert this box into any AutoCAD files that need to be aligned. VW will center imports on these bounding parameters.

You can use the same going in the reverse direction, though I have found much greater success with exported VW files maintaining alignment in AutoCAD without rigging it.

<

Bonus

Seems to me that the VW import engine should take care of this automatically. It does when a DWG paper space file is imported into a viewport sheet layer. But the model space is imported into a design layer, so the origin and rotation are often unrelated to the VW printable area. This means that any annotations and changes must be done in the viewport, or the design layer must be relocated and reoriented, which then throws off the viewport. An import option to adapt the DWG origin and rotation to fit the VW print area would save some time and frustration.

We always import into a new file and then Work Group Reference this new file from the working file. Using Layer Links, one can rotate and locate as needed in the working file without "messing" with the origin file very much. . .maybe a little cleanup of fonts, etc.

Good luck,