lights not turning on/turning off when I turn others on

BradLyons

Question

So I have installed (9) Ellipsoidals on a front truss and (12) color fixtures on a rear truss.  When in the OPEN GL mode only 8-9 or so actually will turn on at a time.  If I try to turn more on, go off.  When I do a FINAL RENDER they show up just fine, but in OPEN GL only a handful will actually turn on.  Is there a setting that limits how can be turned on at a time?  If so, where is that and how do I turn it off? 

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
39 minutes ago, BradLyons said:

Thank you for your response.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME??  Do you know why there is that limitation?  That's a horrible design flaw!  

My understanding is that the 8 light limit is part of the OpenGL standard as a whole because OpenGL is meant as a quick-to-render solid mode. If the OpenGL standard allowed one to add as many lights as they wished, then it is likely that the "quick" aspect of OpenGL would be gone (because rendering light can be complex and add rendering time.)

• Like 2

Neil, Thank you for your response.  This would be a limitation of VW, certainly not one of OPEN GL (which is now Vulcan). I'm a heavy user of CAST WYSIWYG PERFORM (and heavy not just because I eat too many donuts! haha) , the attached file is a screen shot picture of the real-time lighting I'm using.  There are (54) house light fixtures and a huge amount of stage lights.  This is real time, zero lag, no offline rendering required.  And this is all Open GL. Man, VW is a great program!  But this is a HUGE flaw and buzzkill 😞  

YOUTH_CONCEPT4.PNG

Vectorworks does not have the OpenGL rendering abilities of WYSIWYG. For OpenGL Renderings in realtime you will need to export to their Vision software package which provides this capability.

What Vectorworks beats the competition at is drafting and 3D modelling. Sadly, nowhere yet exists (that I am aware of) for a truly complete production solution for lighting designers. I feel sure that soon Vision will be integrated into the Spotlight package in the same way that Braceworks was added. No doubt there will be a premium price point to match.

It's a really interesting time at the moment in 3D visualisation and I feel sure that there will be substantial improvements soon. Already, there is a plugin available to co-render Vectorworks models with Lumion and I am sure that other plug-ins will be following soon.

If you look through the forums you will see that there are many frustrations with regard to OpenGL and lighting. For the moment, Vision does seem to answer most of them.

• Like 1

Thank you, to be clear I'm not asking for high-res rendering.  Again the image above was the working shaded view of WYSIWYG, not a high-resolution render.  This is real-time, being able to see everything real time. I would at least expect VW to be able to show me lights.  I don't need the beams, I don't need high-res, I just want to know "do I have visual coverage".  I can't even get the DRAGGABLE beams to work, they are greyed out.  I'm finding very little useable information on Vision.....  Is it a VISUALIZER only, or can I build a full production in it?  I mean, I would obviously build the core model of the room, walls, stage, etc in VW and then in Vision can I insert the trusses, lighting fixtures, install acoustical panels on the walls, drop in speakers, etc?  This is what I'm able to do in WYSIWYG all in one environment SIMPLY.  I don't expect VW to do what WYG does just like I don't expect WYG to do what VW does, but only (8) lights at a time is ridiculous!  There's ZERO reasons why they can't make this unlimited. Especially when someone like me has an 8-core i7 4.2Ghz and an 8GB RTX2080 graphics card.  Either they don't want to do it, or they don't know how to do it.  But the fact is, it's not tasking anything to just have lights turn on with beams off.  I'd love to give Vision a FULL test-drive, but their demo only supports (5) fixtures at a time.  I went through this process with CAPTURE, I had to just buy the software to try it...and turns out that because it's based on a DirectX engine, it chokes quickly when using strip lights.  I'm starting to think more and more that for what I do and need, I'll need to have BOTH options....VW SPOTLIGHT and WYSIWYG PERFORM.  😞